jinsmn, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in different email servers and clients.

I have been receiving gmails from an anonymous person : and

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have been receiving gmails from an anonymous person
JA: Got it. The Email Technician will be able to help you. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: and I would like to find out who it is
JA: Is there anything else the Email Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not really. Other than that Im receiving the emails at my work email and it is threatening my job
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Email Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Email
Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Are you getting anonymous Emails from same Email account or from various accounts ? Is it some kind of advertisements or something personally related to you like threatening or asking for money ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is from the same email account and its personally related threatening my career.
Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

Okay, can you please give me that Email address ?

Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

The one from which you get threatening Emails.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  jinsmn replied 5 months ago.

It seems there is not any social media accounts connected with this Email. It may be an account created only for threatening purpose. It may be a colleague or some one you know.

What can you do in this situation?

• Do not delete the email. You need to keep it as evidence.
  • Assess the situation: If you believe that you are in danger, contact your local law enforcement agency immediately!
  • Tell the harasser to stop: reply to the harassing email with a firm but polite message telling him or her to refrain from sending you any more mail otherwise you will take legal action. If it’s someone with whom you must continue to correspond, tell this person to refrain from sending you more messages of the kind you find offensive. Be specific. Make sure to send a copy of this email to yourself. You need to document as much as possible.
  • If the harasser does not stop, report the situation to your local cyber crime authorities where you will receive assistance and support

How to report harassment

• Submit a complaint describing the harassment. Include a copy of the original harassing email if you wish, but it’s not necessary
  • Include a copy of the message you sent telling the harasser to stop

Each email you receive contains information about where the message came from and which computers it went through on its way to your mailbox. This information, contained in the message’s headers, is usually masked from your view. When you display full headers, you’re telling your email program to restore this information. It is used to trace the email back to its source. Look for the name of the email software you are using below, and follow the instructions.

Note: You will only see headers in Outlook or Exchange when the message is from an outside source. No headers show for messages sent from an Exchange server.

Microsoft Outlook

Open the message.

Select: View>Options
See Internet headers, then:

1. Select the full text by pressing on the left mouse key. The text and background will be highlighted.
  2. Press the right mouse key and select “copy.”
  3. Close the window and paste the text into the message by using the right mouse key again and selecting “paste.”
  4. Print the message, containing the header information to submit to the legal authorities. It will help them to find the source of the Email.

Outlook Express

Select: File > Properties > Details for header information.

Follow instructions 1) through 4) above.

Microsoft Exchange

Select: File > Properties > Headers.

Netscape v4.x

Select: View > Headers > All.

Select the entire message, then copy and paste the contents into a text file and take print.

Eudora has a “Blah Blah” button at the top of each received message. Click this button to see full headers. Then take print.