Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Outlook 2016 Personal folder contacts folder property tab

Customer Question

Outlook 2016 Personal folder contacts folder property tab Outlook Address Book will not allow me to check the box so the contact folder will show in Address book. my emails are POP accounts not Imap. I also have other email accounts but the same problem with marking the contact folders for use in Outlooks Address Book.
What do I have to do so that the software will allow me to mark the contact folder for use in the Address book in Outlook 2016?
I did not have this problem in Outlook 2007 or 2010.
Category: Email
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 5 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no thank you
I will opt out and open the question to other experts who may be able to assist without remoting in. Sometimes, the issues are a bit complicated and the tech needs to see it. Once an expert responds, you will be notified via e-mail. Thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Can you check and see if you already have the Outlook address book service added. heres how to check Go to File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings…-> tab Address BooksIf the Outlook Address Book service is added already, you should mark your Contacts folder as an Outlook Address Book.If the Outlook Address Book service has not been added yet, press the New… or Add… button.Select “Additional Address Books” and click Next.Choose “Outlook Address Book” and click Next.You’ll be prompted that you must close and restart Outlook for changes to take effect.Press OK and close and restart Outlook.The service is now added. Does that help? Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That was already done. there are no folders/files attached to the Address book so that when you open it is blank even though the contacts folder is not and has a list of contacts.
when I right click the Contacts folder and select properties there are 3 tabs General, Home Page and Outlook Address book.
when I click the address book tab to check the box for Show this folder as an email address book it is grey and you can not check the box.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.
Sounds like you have a corrupted outlook profile. Have you tried creating a new profile, and then importing your data into it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I deleted may 3 email accounts and started from scratch making sure I started the mail one first so that it was the one called Personal Folder. My accounts are all POP accounts. Operating system is Windows 7 professional.
You would think the Address book in 2016 would automaticly populate with the contact folders but it does not.
I do not have any IMAP contacts set up.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.
When you say you deleted your three email accounts. Did you also go into the windows control panel, mail, and create a new profile?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought that I had deleted all the profiles.
I will have to try again later today after I finish do the payroll.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.
Understood. worst case scenario, you could just export the contacts to a pst file. And then import them so that they would all be in the outlook address book.. Its not a solution, but it is a viable workaround that would reduce your time involved to achieve the same effect roughly. D.S