Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

My friend and I believe that her Skype account has been hacked.

Customer Question

My friend and I believe that her Skype account has been hacked. We need to know as soon as possible if this is the case.
Category: Email
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hello Gary and welcome.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.

What's the email address?

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Gmail only has .com

Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

What makes you think the account got hacked, does it say invalid username/password?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We had someone basically tell us the account was hacked. It's an urgent legal matter.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Is she able to login?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah she is. We think it was done by an outside source. We were told they had obtained information about my friend. And they told us that they weren't sure if they were able to legally use the information because of the means in which they obtained it. That led us to believe they hacked her account.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. Please accept the remote support offer, then From your computer click the following link:

https://ngmt.screenconnect.com/?Session=bbb24479-5ed1-470f-93d2-bc7486870ca4

Then click Join your session -->

And run (open) the program that gets downloaded Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client

Let me know once you've done that or if you need additional steps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm doing this on my phone. It was a tablet that may have been hacked.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We actually don't have a computer here; just a tablet and our phones.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

It doesn't work that way though - someone doesn't simply hack your tablet to get into your Skype account, they may hack the Skype account or email account attached to it, to get into the account.

If that's the case then there should be sign in logs on Gmail by scrolling all the way to the bottom.

But you need a computer for that as the mobile version doesn't offer the option.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She can access her account through the tablet. Will the tablet have that option? I have to go to work now. Is there any way we can continue this conversation later on?
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Sure - if you like you can contact me from your work computer so I can show you how to check the access logs.

She can't do it from the tablet

Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Send me a message when you get to work or I can wait until you get back if it's not too late.

And if you could take a moment just before you leave to click on one of the green stars at the top to rate me for my time, it would be greatly appreciated!

Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.

Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, what can happen to the person/people who may have hacked the account? And I personally don't have access to any computers at work. I will have to get back to you tomorrow, if that would be alright.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Sure that's fine - just remember to rate me for my time today so it is recognized.

If you can prove someone else logged in (by looking at the IP address access logs) you'll need to speak to an attorney for legal advice.

Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Gary

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no access logs on the Gmail screen right now. I'm not sure where they can be located.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still here?
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I am here - they are on the desktop version only and they're located on the bottom right side of the screen

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry I haven't been able to get back to you. So is there any way to try and find out if the Skype account was hacked?
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Welcome back, Gary.

I would be able to tell you that via a secure remote session as we need to gather info from your computer.

If you're on your computer or have it close by I can give you instructions to get connected.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We don't have a computer actually. We only have our phones and a tablet. We only use the tablet for Skype though.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Do you currently have access to the Skype account in question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
she does. I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I've been busy with work. She can still access the account.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My friend wants to help. He has a computer. He wants to know if he can call you so you can talk him through it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My friend Dave Lanktree wants to help. He wants to know if he can call you. My friend wants to leave you his number. Can you send me a response so I can give you his phone number.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Sure, we can talk over Skype about it - or I can give him a call on his number.

Not tonight though, it is getting late.

How about tomorrow?

Also, could you please take a moment to rate me for my time thus far otherwise it doesn't get recognized by the website.

Thank you!