derrickonline, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  15 Years Information Technology Experience.

I use my Gmail distribution lists frequently and as of yesterday

Customer Question

I use my Gmail distribution lists frequently and as of yesterday when I bcc the distribution list, all the emails are being returned due to the spam filter in sending. How can I fix this?
Category: Email
Expert:  derrickonline replied 5 months ago.
I'd be more than happy to assist you. You stated emails are being returned "due to the spam filter in sending". Can you provide me with the error message you received when the messages were returned. Thank you standing by.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This was the response on all 61 returned emails.
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:***@******.***Technical details of permanent failure:
Message rejected. See for more information.
Ahh yes. That's what I thought. Here's the problem with Gmail. The service is free and therefore they set the limits and controls. Gmail has certain algorithms to detect potential spam. It's quite possible your message was flagged because you CC'd/BCC'd what it felt was a large number of people. Google isn't going to tell you how they determine if they think the message is spam since spammers would use that information to work around the system. The short answer is, typically this can happen if you email large groups of people regularly since they may see you as a potential spammer. The workaround would be break those 61 recipients up into groups of 5 or 10. Not ideal but it will get the job done. Another option is using Google Groups or something like MailChimp. Google Groups is free but it's more of a collaborative tool. Meaning if one person replies, everyone sees it and so it's more of a collaboration site, but all collabs go out via email as well. If that's too fancy, MailChimp is a service (they charge, but it's cheap) and you can use that to send out your mass emails (a must-have if you frequently communicate with this group). I hope I was able to assist you. If you'd like to continue this discussion by all means don't rate me let's continue talking until you're satisfied. If I was able to answer your question to your satisfaction I would appreciate a positive rating. Thank you. Standing by!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand what you're telling me but I've been using this distribution list for 12 years and never had a problem until yesterday. There must be some control that was engaged yesterday to cause this reaction. The purpose of the distribution list is to prevent the need for sending out multiple emails so sending the message out in batches is not a great help. Paying for a service to be able to do this is absurd, and using Google Groups (which exposes everyones replies) defeats the purpose of the bcc feature. There must be some way to allow me to continue to use my distribution list.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it based on the number of email addresses in the list? I have 60 in the list now. If I reduce the number to 58 would that avoid being flagged as Spam? You said to divide the list into a few batches. What's the magic number that I can have in a batch without being flagged as Spam?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would it still be flagged as spam if I didn't bcc the distribution list and just entered the distribution list into the TO: line?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there??? I see that Justanswer has already debited my account and I'm not satisfied yet.