James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

I have been using TWC Roadrunner email to 15 years.

Customer Question

I have been using TWC Roadrunner email for close to 15 years. Last week, the hard drive crashed on my desk top computer. I have been receiving RR email through Windows Live Mail directly to the desk top, which was much easier than going through the RR web site that tends to be really slow. When the hard drive crashed, it took all desktop RR inbox and sent emails with it, including folders and hundreds of contacts in my address book. In light of this hard drive meltdown, I have several questions: 1) Does RR archive emails? I had several folders with important academic messages I would like to restore. If there's an archive, how do it get to it?; 2) I can't seem to import my web address book to my desktop. The web address book doesn't have the number of addresses I had on the desk top, but it's better than starting from scratch. How can the importing be done? I've tried and had no luck at all. 3) Why were web-based emails wiped out in the crash? The web based inbox now only has emails through the end of 2014. The sent box only has emails sent through the end of 2013. Frankly, I don't understand why my web-based emails were affected. I could have restored some of the academic emails lost if the web based system hadn't wiped out a bunch of inbox and sent emails. I had plenty of storage capacity, so that shouldn't have been an issue. Thanks.
Category: Email
Expert:  Cody replied 5 months ago.
If your email was setup with pop3, all emails are downloaded and removed from your Internet provider's servers. I doubt they have any backup but you could check with them. Importing an address book would need to be done with a .csv file.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, Cody. You may have done the best you could, but your answer doesn't help me. Web-based RR emails were always left on the my RR email web site even after they were downloaded to my desktop. I would have to manually delete them from the web. Many I did not delete as a sort of back-up system, which surprised me when I found out they were gone. What you told me about the csv. file is on the TWC RR site, but I haven't had any luck with those directions.I had hoped this website would give me a quicker, clearer answer than TWC RR could. Yes, I realize I could have called TCW tech support about the archive system and the exporting address book problem. I have tried and it's a very long wait. In fact, since the hard drive crash I haven't been able to get through to them at all. As I said, I used your web site to get a quicker more precise answer to my questions, but I just I'll have to just keep trying to get through to TWC RR technical support. Since this reply wasn't much help, do I have to pay for this answer?
Expert:  Cody replied 5 months ago.
I can show you about the address book with remote session.Your email may need to be setup in imap if they are showing up on the webmail interface.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, but still not helpful. I'm happy the email remained on the web as it was my back up system. I guess I'll keep trying TW. I suppose I'll be paying for your answers, which is too bad.
Expert:  Cody replied 5 months ago.
If you don't want remote support then having TW do this is the better option.