flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.

I'm trying to move a thunderbird profile (v44.2) to v45.0 on

Customer Question

I'm trying to move a thunderbird profile (v44.2) to v45.0 on a new computer. Copying the old profile and pasting it into the pristine profile folder doesn't seem to be recognized. I observe that v45.0 has different folders and none of the auxiliary files that 44.2 has. Am I missing something?
Category: Email
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.
Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK...Is this requesting a formal consent to work with you or do you need further information or both?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.
I do need further information please. Do you have a different version of Windows on the new computer than you do on the old computer? If so, that complicates things a bit and may require editing some js files. If you move your profile between dissimilar operating systems (Windows to Mac OS X for example) the path names in the prefs.js file (your settings) may have the wrong syntax. Thunderbird and Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey, for example, use the same format to store messages and address books on all platforms. In such cases, you can update the information stored in the prefs.js file by using the "Browse" button for the local directory in your Options/Preferences for (Mail & Newsgroups) Account Settings -> Server Settings and (Mail & Newsgroups) -> Account Settings -> Local Folders to specify the correct account and mail directories. Also, have you considered trying restoring the backup using software like MozBackup that knows how to update the profiles.ini files?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The old windows is XP the new one is 10. However, this process, as described by Mozilla, worked successfully about six weeks ago before a system crash required me to reinstall 10. I am not familiar with MozBackup and it is not clear to me how transferring data from one computer to another would be accommodated by such software.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.
I have no explanation for why it woudl have worked previously and yet not work now, but I think I can walk you through a fix. Mozilla applications don't know how to discover a profile by just looking in the default location where profiles are stored. They look in the profiles.ini file.Close Mozilla if openCopy the profile folder to the location where you want to store it. ( You can copy it anywhere, except the application's program directory.)Start the Profile Manager (right click start, left click run then type firefox.exe -profilemanager (or firefox.exe -P)Click on the "Create Profile..." button.In the dialog that opens, enter a descriptive name for the profile.Click on the "Choose Folder..." button. A "Browse for Folder" dialog will open.Select the profile folder you copied and click OK.Review the path shown in the "Completing the Create Profile Wizard" dialog to make sure it is correct, then click "Finish" to create the new profile.Select the new profile and press the Start button to start Firefox or Thunderbird using the moved profile.Please try thi sand let me know how it works for you.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. if you need extra help I can remotely connect and work on this while you watch. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.When your problem has been resolved, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is windows 10. No start, no run. Sounds like you want me in the command shell. I haven't figured out how to get there on this newfangled app layout which would have us believe that a command shell is a historical artifact.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.
I understand. I have Windows 10 as well. By start I mean the square Windows icon in the bottom left of your screen. If you right click on it, you'll see a menu with many of the familiar commands, run being one of them
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No joy there. Same result as before. None of my history etc. is recognized. Also, firefox.exe does not have a profile manager or at least does not respond when I entered your instruction in Run. It did however respond when I entered thunderbird.exe.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.
ok. Give me just a moment to update my Thunderbird so I can try to find a way to use Profile Manger through the Menu.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is the content of the profile file
Default=1I am concerned that the new path is the same as the old path.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.
I apologize but none of the old tricks seem to work in this new version of Thunderbird. I will opt out and see if another expert may be more familiar with this latest version. Don't worry, you won't have to repeat anything. The new expert will see our entire conversation and you will be notified via email when a new expert picks up your question. Have a great evening!
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 5 months ago.
You might have to settle for just copying the mailbox folders and then adding any accounts that you need to downloadyou should be able to switch contacts as well by exporting from the old program and importing them to the new one. I can help you with it sometime sunday or monday if you are willing to pay an additional fee for premium service