flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

Had a internet tech delete my live mail account and I lost

Customer Question

had a internet tech delete my live mail account and I lost folders under Inbox - is there a way to recover those folders and their files
Category: Email
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 7 months ago.
Is this live mail on the internet at www.live.comor is this the windows live mail program installed on your computerand how long ago did they disapear ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
installed on computer and account was deleted yesterday evening when tech was trying to solve connection problem
no idea why he would ruin your email to fix a connection problemi was thinking that you might be able to get it back by doing a system restore. But it also might put back your connection problem Still there might be better ways to solve that problem if you want to give it a try. You can always reverse it if it makes things worse.System restore instructions - windows 7 or 8 or 10hold the windows logo key down and hit Rtype rstrui.exe in the run box that comes up and hit enter select restore to an earlier date. Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTEDchoose a date that is BEFORE you experienced the problemhit ok / restorethe computer will start to shut down a restoring settngs box will appear with a status barwhen it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected. It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks - I am starting process now - will let you know - and I don;t know why the tech did what he did since the connection problem is still there - actually I can receive just not send emails - another issue for a later date - getting files back is primo at this point
Ok lets try this and hope.after that the sending i can probably do later if you want to pay for additional servicethat usually has to do with the settings for the server and ports
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Had to do it twice - first time it said that a file wouldn't restore probably to security - so I shut down McAfee and restored - it was successful EXCEPT while the folders (and subfolders) were restored under InBox, the files that were residing there did not - so I am no better or worse (except now I know how to do a System Restore - hopefully never have to) - back to the original question - is there a way to get the files back ????
probably notyou can try something like recuva and see what that will find but the likelyhood of getting all of them intact seems pretty remote unless you had them backed up somewhere or they are still on the original server or you use another computer to access the same emails and store them there too.https://www.piriform.com/recuva
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tried recuva and it brought back 200+ eml files - all in hieroglyphics - tried to open with live mail, mail and Unicode - nada - does this mean that I have lost the files or is there another way to decode
Did they have a red mark or a hollow or solid green mark before you restored them? If red they are probably garbage. If solid green they should be goodTry just dragging them into a folder in an email program and then opening them