Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

I have Outlook 2016 on Windows 7 with Yahoo POP3.Installed

Customer Question

Hello. I have Outlook 2016 on Windows 7 with Yahoo POP3.
Installed Outlook 2016 about 6 weeks ago and using Outlook 2010 pst file.
Worked until a few days ago when I started getting this message upon send/receive:
Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
Sometimes Outlook asks me for my password *****
Things I have tried:
installed and ran OffCAT
tells me about wrong IM client but I don't use instant messaging
tells me I do not the latest update for Outlook 2016 Junk E-mail Filter but I've updated Office so not sure what that's about
found 16 Windows Updates of all 'types' that are available but I only installed the required ones, not the optional ones
updated Windows 7
updated Office
repaired Office using online repair
had Yahoo scan my email account for problems several times
tried creating a new mail profile but cannot get past test phase -- same error
used McAfee to scan entire PC
set up email profile multiple ways, with & without SSL, all three outgoing server ports:
465 with SSL
25 and 110 with TSL
every other permutation I could think of
This server requires encryption on and off
disabled all add-ins except OffCAT
I have not tried a complete reinstall of Office
This is very frustrating as you can imagine.
Category: Email
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. It sounds EXTREMELY frustrating. I have a couple of suggestions. First, I recommend the use of cCleaner. It can be VERY helpful in cleaning up problematic temp files, registry errors etc. It is the only program of its kind that I completely trust. I have been using it for years. Second, go back to the default settings for Yahoo mail. I will provide those in a moment If still no luck, then i recommend trying a System Restore to a time BEFORE the problem occurred. As a last resort, I would recommend uninstalling Office, running cCleaner again, and reinstalling. However, before we do ANY of this, let's login to your yahoo account through your webbrowser and send and receive email from there just to be sure there is no problem with the account itself.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Yes, I'm able to send/receive email through Yahoo webmail. I'll try cCleaner and get back to you. I forgot to mention I also tried scanpst.exe.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Alison. I installed cCleaner and ran the clean and registry clean several times until nothing showed up anymore. Still fail.My Yahoo settings are:
checked--My outgoing server requires authentication
selected--Use same settings as my income mail server
Incoming server POP3 995
check--requires an encrypted connection
outgoing server 465
use SSL encryptionI took these from the yahoo website but they only have up to Outlook 2013, no 2016.Will wait for reply. Thanks.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Hi there! I apologize for the delayed response. I took the day off yesterday. Would you mind very much if I logged in remotely and did this for you? It would be far away and the easiest and fastest path to take. I will offer the Secure Remote Assistance at the lowest price that we are allowed to charge ($5). What do you think? I'd like to try creating the account from scratch as the next step.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Quick question, did you previously have AT&T or SBC email that was converted to yahoo or has it always been a yahoo account? I ask because the settings can be different.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I had a bunch of work to catch up on before I could continue this email issue. I'm afraid I can't let anyone remote access this PC since it's a corporate PC.I've had the Yahoo email for many years so nothing has been converted.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I understand. Are you comfortable with setting up a new account in Outlook for Yahoo? You can leave the old one in place.Or, if you'd like, we can try just changing the incoming email server in the existing setup to imap (port # *****). This should solve the original issue since the error message was relating to the incoming server which was setup as a a POP mail server. You can use either one but imap is recommended. If that doesn't work and you want to try to setup a completely new one, the following instructions have been tested with Outlook 2016. From Outlook, go to “File” > “Info” > “Add account“.Select “Manual setup or additional server types“, then select “Next“.Select “POP or IMAP“, then select “Next“.Fill in the following information:Your Name: First and last name.Email Address:***@******.*** Type: IMAPIncoming mail server: imap.mail.yahoo.comOutgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.comUser Name:***@******.***: Your Yahoo password.Check the “Require logon using Secure Password ***** (SPA)” box.Select the “More Settings…” button.Select the “Outgoing Server” tab, then check the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” box.Select the “Advanced” tab, then fill in the following:Incoming server (IMAP): 993Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSLOutgoing server (SMTP): 465Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSLSelect “OK“Select “Next“. Be patient while communication is established.If the tasks show as “Completed” you should be able to select “Close” and be ready to use Yahoo email with Outlook 2013. If an error occurs, double-check your settings.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.When your problem has been resolved, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I already did that but I'll do it again. thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh I'm sorry, we can't use imap. None of our outgoing emails can remain on yahoo. Confidential bid quotes that our competitors would (and have tried) to get their hands on. Have to use pop3.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, as I said, I'm using Outlook 2016 and imported the .pst file from Outlook 2010. Worked for about 6-8 weeks just fine.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I may have something for you here. It seems that there is a full feature version of Yahoo mail and and a basic version. In order for POP to work with email, you have to be on the full featured version. it is possible that this was inadvertently switched. To switch from basic to full featured click the "Switch to the newest Yahoo Mail" link:Once you've done this, please make sure that POP3 access is turned on from within the Yahoo mail application. To enable POP3 for a free Yahoo Mail account:Go to the Gear and click Settings:Click the Accounts navigation, then click the Edit button:Click the Radio Button for POP, select if you want Spam included, and then click Save:After turning on POP3 the settings for Yahoo Mail are:Incoming mail server settings:Free Yahoo Accounts: pop.mail.yahoo.com (port 995, requires SSL)Yahoo Plus Accounts: plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com (port 995, requires SSL)Use your full email address and password ***** your login.Free Yahoo Mail accounts should use the outgoing server setting: smtp.mail.yahoo.com, port 587 (requires SSL/TLS)It is REQUIRED that you are using Full Featured Yahoo to turn on POP3 access.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I pay for the version that allows me to send and receive pop3. Been doing that for years. Checked to make sure I'm paid up too and I am.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just check again. I do have Pop3 on this account and I am using Full Featured.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Do you have plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com (port 995, requires SSL) in Outlook?Do you have***@******.*** for the login info, and not just the first part of the address?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did try the plus once and it didn't work but I'll try it again right now, close Outlook and restart.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Great! Pleas ekeep me posted. I'm alreayd late fro a previosu appointment so I am logging off for the day now but I am fully committed to helping you with this until it is resolved. I will check for your response when first thing tomorrow ( or possibly late tonight if I'm not too tired to work on it). Thank you for your patience!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I put plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com but still fail. Shouldn't I also put plus.smtp-----then too?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
I'm terribly sorry for the delayed response. I wasn't notified when you responded and saw this while skimming through my requests. You are correct.incoming server - plus.pop.mail,yahoo.com (port 995, requires SSL)outgoing server - plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (check the “Requires Authentication” box). It would be very helpful to me if you could provide the error messages as different messages mean different things and may point us in different directions.I still think it would be a good idea to try to setup the account from scratch, while preserving the old one. Just give it a new name. (can be 25 or 465). Try both. Keep me posted please. Alison
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried several times to create a new account from scratch. Still fail.This is the error message:Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to yourincoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).Yes, I did set it up as you provided above.I'm beginning to wonder if this is a yahoo issue.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
I wondered that initially myself. But....since you said you can go to yahoo.com and login and send and receive messages I think it's more likely that some setting is incorrect. I know you've made several changes. Would you be open to trying to add the account from scratch, while just leaving the existing one setup and calling this one #2 or something of the sort? Just to see if it works? Outlook has come a long way and can figure out most settings automatically so you might want to give it a chance to do that, and then if it doesn't work, change the settings th those that I provided earlier. If this does work, you can keep the emails in the original Outlook mailbox and just deselect for sending and receiving. All old emails will be preserved there and new emails from this point on will be in mailbox # ***** I am on my way out of town and will only have occasional to computer over the weekend but I will check in when I can and pick this back up Monday if we can't get in touch this weekend. Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess you don't remember but I did already set up a new account several times with a new pst file both manually and letting Outlook do it automatically. In all cases, I got the same error message. I don't think there's any point continuing this since everything you've suggest I already tried.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
I apologize. I will opt out and see if another expert can assist. You won't have to repeat anything. The new expert will see our entire conversation. You'll be notified by email when someone else picksu p your request. Have a good evening!
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I will be the person helping you today. I can help you in one of two ways:1) We will communicate back and forth on this page.2) Remote support, which would allow me to take a look at the problem and fix it for you while you watch. In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.As a side note, both options are covered by a 100% guarantee and fully refundable, if we are not able to fix your problem.If you wish to choose the first option, please let me know so we can begin. If you wish to choose the second, better option, then click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your offer. A bit of background so you know I'm totally computer illiterate. I started programming in GWBasic in the 90's. I'm koigirl on Experts-Exchange.com. I am not allowed remote assistance on this company PC unless it's directly from Microsoft or Dell. I appreciate the offer. Everything Alison suggested I had already tried prior to coming to JustAnswer.com. That's not her fault. I just came here after trying everything else. I've had Outlook and Yahoo for years and this issue began with no changes on my part so I think it might have something to do with an update which is the only other thing that would change. Alison mentioned going back to a restore point. I already know all about restore points so can do that no problem if I choose. I'm considering switching to embarqmail since many of my friends have no issues with that. I notice many people have complaints about Yahoo with Outlook. These issues, according to the complaints, seem to appear and disappear mysteriously. Thanks for the offer anyway.
Greetings, I started programming in Qbasic, in MS-DOS 5.0 in the early 90's as well. I have remoted into into computers scores of thousands of times with no issues, but I understand your anxiety. I offered the secure remote assistance session as an option because I see that all of the normal fixes didn't help. May I ask how you wish to continue? Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No anxiety. Simply not allowed. Unless you have a new solution that I haven't tried, I see no point in continuing since this is day 5 with no solution.
Okay, thank you. I cannot fix it if I cannot do anything. I have run out of ideas.For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.Thank you for your patience. - Jason
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
Can we do a remote session?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My answer, as always, is no. Not allowed. Company PC.
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
go to control panel --> mail --> show profiles --> add new one --> manual settings put in imap.mail.yahoo.comoutgoing = smtp.mail.yahoo.comoutgoing requires authentication Incoming server port 993 with SSLOutgoing server port 587 with TLS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I told a previous tech, we are not allowed to use imap, only pop3. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
Any emails stuck in outbox or draft that you can delete?go to start menu --> run --> type in outlook.exe /safe
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
did you try the above out?
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if so please reply at your convenience.