GeekGal
GeekGal, Email Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS Degree & 15 + years experience supporting email issues of all kinds
76665483

My iphone will not send emails. I receive my comcast emails

Customer Question

My iphone will not send emails. I receive my comcast emails fine, but when I try to send I get message that SMPt:***@******.*** is incorrect. How to fix?
Category: Email
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Hi Wesley! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. How do you access your Comcast email on yur iphone? DO you use the built-in Apple Mail app on the iphone?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not sure. I use safari for one email.
this is the email ap on the phone
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tell me how to do it.. I do notwant to pay another 39 for you to do it directly. that is a terrible rip off shame on Apple
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Ok. You need to go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap the comcast account, then tap the email address beside Account,then tap the SMTP server and change it to smtp.comcast.net Comcast SMTP server name: smtp.comcast.netComcast SMTP username: your Comcast email addressComcast SMTP password: your Comcast passwordComcast SMTP port: 25 or 465
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Those offers for additional services are automated and are completely optional. You do not need to accept any of them.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
I would like to point out that this is not an APPLE issue. This is an issue with your comcast information not being entered properly. Please try changing the smtp server. Let me know how it goes. If the information that I have provided has helped, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is no place for port, it already is what the phone is tells me is wrong: smtp.comcast.net
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
comcast. told me it was an apple problem.. go figure
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Previously you said the smtp was***@******.***.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
wesvietzke is user name
SMTP is smtp.comcast.net
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
​Username should be***@******.*** (your full email address)Comcast SMTP server name: smtp.comcast.netComcast SMTP username: your Comcast email addressComcast SMTP password: your Comcast passwordComcast SMTP port: 25 or 465
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is no place to type in port. there is no request for a port designation.
I am receiving fine.. do I need to change wesvietzke to***@******.***
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Yes please. If you don't see a place for port just ignore that for now.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok that is done.. should I try to sendagain...
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Yes, please. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I get the same reply the user name or password ***** "SMTP***@******.***" is incorrect.
I will check password
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
checked password.. still doesnot send.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
found a place to put in port in "advanced" tried 25 and 456.. still no go.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
Try 587.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
and that does not work either,.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
If that's doesn't work, we'll have to dig a little deeper. Touch the Mail, Contacts, Calendars tab as you did before.Touch the Account that is having trouble sending mail.Touch the tab that says SMTP under Outgoing Mail Server.Make sure that the primary mail server associated with the email account in question is turned OnIf it is turned Off, touch the tab that says Off and turn the switch to On.If there are other mail servers listed, you can always try to turn one of them On and retry sending your mail. Usually, if mail is unsuccessful in sending from one server, it tries the other listed servers.Once yout your account is set up and your SMTP server is On and you still can’t send mail – then we need to dive into the Advanced settings to see if there are any more adjustments to be made.Touch the Account from the Mail, Contacts, Calendars tab as you did earlier.Touch the Account tab and then touch the Advanced tab under the SMTP tab.If the Use SSL switch is OFF, turn it ONConsequently, if it is ON, try turning it OFFTouch the Authentication tab and set it to PasswordLook at the number next to Server PortI'm going to go the comcast website to see what port they say we should be using. Will provide that in a moment. Make sure that the S/MIME switch is set to OFF. This is for Secure/Multi-Purpose Internet Mail extensions used by government agencies and some high tech companies. Chances are, that if you need this to be ON you know what it is and that you need it – most of us don’t. Once you make changes to your settings, touch the Done button and you should be all set to go. Go back to your Mail app and try to fetch your email and then try to send a new one. Hopefully, you will be fixed and working.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what is new port number?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
I'm seeing 587 repeatedly.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
If it still doesn't work, I'm out of ideas, unless you want to remove the account and re-add it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is taking forever to verify I will make sure it is 587...then delete and try to reinstall
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
trieed again. reladed.. still receiving, but not sending. I will check with comcast or verizon I guess
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks for your efforts.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
You're welcome. I think Comcast is the place to start. I'd like to suggest going to the comcast webmail site in your browser just to make sure that you can send and receive email properly from the website.Would you like for me to opt out and see if one of our other experts has any ideas?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sure... do I wait or can they email or text later?
but you know what.. I just tried it on safari and it worked.... so to hell with it. thanks again
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.
You're welcome. If I have been at all helpful to you today, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Thanks so much!