Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years

I'm my elderly father's computer tech support. We're currently

Customer Question

I'm my elderly father's computer tech support. We're currently struggling with the following problem: He uses Windows 7 Home Premium and uses Windows Live Mail for his email.
A couple of days ago, his email stopped being able to send and receive messages, supposedly because the password ***** in the program was wrong - even though it hadn't been changed. He is able to use the password ***** get his email online, so it's not like it's been hacked and someone changed the password. We've tried the following, all without success:
1) Changed the email password ***** he's still able to get his email online, but not through Live Mail using the new password.
2) We set up a new email account within Live Mail. That didn't help either.
3) We tried to Repair windows Live Mail. No help. 4) We uninstalled Windows Live Mail and reinstalled it. Still unable to send and receive.
What would you do as a next step? Find a new email client?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Gary, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please tell me the following:What email service is he using in his Windows Live Mail? Is it Gmail? Hotmail? AOL? Yahoo Mail? or others?What exactly is the error message that you are getting when sending and receiving fails?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

He’s using his ISP’s email – the ISP is Mweb in South Africa, where he lives.

The error message is:

Unable to send or receive messages for the (FredB) account. An incorrect password ***** entered. The next time you send or receive messages you’ll be asked to enter your user name and password ***** this account.

Server error: 0x800CCC90

Server response: -ERR LOGIN failed

Server: ‘’

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92

Protocol: POP3

Secure (SSL): No

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
When did this problem start? Just recently?This error message indicates problem from the Mail server (not your computer) that is causing issues with the authentication protocol of Windows Live Mail. If indeed this is an issue with the server, then this can resolve on its own at a later time when your ISP fixes their server.But if this has been an issue for weeks already, please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

It's been a problem since Monday. He already spent quite a long time on the phone with their tech support - not exactly clear what they did other than to suggest that he change his password. (I don't have a sense of how good their tech support is.)

Are you suggesting that he should just wait more time to see if it resolves? Or should he call the ISP and ask them something - specifically what would he ask? Is it possible that they've changed one of their recommended email settings and that he needs to ask about that?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Garry,Yes, I suggest that you wait for a day or two and see if the issue resolved on its own. While waiting you can also call the ISP and ask them if there are server updates in their email server especially if they are using MS Exchange server that could have caused this issue from your end.Another thing is, did your system update recently? It could also be caused by MS updates affecting Windows Live Mail. If this is the case, you can try System Restore and roll back your system to a restore point dated 4-23 or 4/24 and see if the issues are gone.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

1) Please can you help me a bit on the system restore:

i) How do I do the system restore?

ii) Will system restore only affect windows, or will he lose any other changes he's made since the date of the restore?

iii) If the system restore doesn't work, should it be rolled forward to the current place?

Also, after I got your first response, I googled some of those error codes and found some comments that echoed yours, but also people who suggested that it could be caused by the antivirus program. Do you think it's worth turning off his antivirus temporarily to see if that solves the problem?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Yes, please try to turn off your AV program then try sending and receiving emails.How to Run System Restore in Windows 7Navigate to the Start => All Programs => Accessories => System Tools program group.Click on the System Restore program icon.Click Next => on the Restore system files and settings window.Choose the restore point that you want to use. You should use a restore point with a prior date when you still don't have the problem you are facing now. Use a point dated like 1 week ago or two weeks ago.Important: You need to check the Show more restore points checkbox to see more than the most recent restore points available in your system.System Restore will only restore your system files and settings that was previously saved as a Restore Point. It will not affect your personal files.