Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I think my gmail account was hacked. i cannot change my password

Customer Question

i think my gmail account was hacked. i cannot change my password ***** i cant answer the verification question such ad when the account was started, labels, etc? what do i do?
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you tell me please the message you get when you try to sign into your account?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i simply cannot sign in. i called the google tech line and he said my account had been hacked from outside the country, but my other gmail account is intact.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
What is the email address with the issue? I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you. Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse. I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps. Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong. If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me. Thanks, Richard
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am on an ipad and would prefer to do this without remote support.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i can get on my mac computer if necessary though.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
No problem, but I need to know please the exact message you get when you try to sign in
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
one moment please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
"the email and password ***** entered dont match"
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, what is the gmail account with the issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
***@******.***
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
what is the last password ***** remember using?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i dont know
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
do you have access to the telephone ending in 03?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no. that is an old phone number that i dont remember.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Gmail being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** is no way back in. Gmail states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year Gmail has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not yahoo, their policies, or the situation itself.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how can you tell if you have been hacked? Was that technician a scammer?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
If your 100% sure the password ***** are using is right then its likely you were hacked. As Google have no support, that technician would have been indeed a scammer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I, of course, am not 100 percent that the password ***** ***** because i dont know the password. Also you mentioned that i should keep my alternative email up to date. if they hadbrequested one then i know what it would be. it would be from my gmail account. how can i verify using thisnyahoo account?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i meant to say from my yahoo account
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
There was no alternative email with the account though so likely it was indeed hacked, which is why you need to ensure the passwords are as difficult as possible
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how do you know that there was no alternative email?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
because it would have been offered when I tried to reset the password.Only the telephone number was offered.one thing that could work.Try calling your old numberDoes anyone answer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
unfortunately, i cant call a number i dont know. i dont believe that there is no way to recover this account. would you please research every possible alternative for me including the answering of security questions, etc.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Thats the only option, to call the number and see if they will tell you the code if we send it. No other option available.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i dont believe this. please tell me about your warranty. i would like to have my money back since i believe that my question was not answered correctly. i should have a thorough listing of all of the potential avenues to a solution but have received none. nothing personal.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
sure... please contact customer service for a refund.