James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I accidentally deleted my new mail and trash folder. i have

Customer Question

i accidentally deleted my new mail and trash folder. i have icloud. how do i get the mail back?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. So you have deleted a new email message, and then you emptied the trash? Is that what happened?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i was actually trying to free up space on my iphone. i deleted my new mail and trash folders. i did a reset with erase all content and settings hoping my recent icloud backup would put my mail back. after the phone resets, the mail shows up in the folder, but disappears after i click on it
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for writing back. Are you saying that your Mail app is no longer loading now?Or are you saying that your Mail app is working, but then, when you tap a particular email message, it disappeared?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
so after the reset and my mail and aol apps reload, the new mail folder has the mail in it that i deleted. that mail disappears after i try to open it. i thought the icloud would reinstall the mail that was lost.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Have you checked if your contacts are intact?Also, have you checked if your old phone data are backed up in iCloud Drive?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
contacts are intact. how do i check the contents of the icloud drive?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Please refer to this link:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201104
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok. that has icloud mail in it. what about mail that i had in my aol mail folders
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
If your device, before you reset it, was setup to backup your AOL emails as well, then your AOL emails shall be backed up in your iCloud Drive. Please check your iCould drive again.ThanksJess
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i see nothing that points me in the direction of any mail besides icloud mail, which i dont use. i use aol app for my mail
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
when the phone was reset, or reloaded from icloud backup, was aol app loaded as well? or did you manually install the aol app after the reset?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i believe i had to install it manually, im not positive though
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i guess whats throwing me off is after the reset, the mail reappears for a minute. so i a m trying to find it.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Here is the link in restoring from your iCloud backup:https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12521?locale=en_USIf you have already did this restore process and yet your AOL app was not loaded, then you need to manually install aol app.But also allow your device to fully complete the restore. At the bottom part of the procedures in the link I gave you, there you can check if the information on your device is fully restored.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok im not getting anywhere. i know the mail still exists somewhere, because ive seen it. im at a dead end i guess.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Please check first if the icloud backup was fully restored.To check if the information on your device is fully restored, go to Settings > iCloud > StorageorSettings > iCloud > Storage & Backup on an iOS 7 device
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok what would tell me its not completely restored?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
What do you see on Storage?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Or Storage and Backup
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
35.6 GB available
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
And the total storage space is? The point of checking is to compare your previous storage with the storage you have now. If before the reset you have 20GB available, and now you have 35.6 BG available, the information or data on your device was not fully restored...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
59 Gb Total
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So I should try to restore it again?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
So 23.4BG is used up. That is a reasonable data size.Yes, please try to run the restore again and make sure that the device has enough battery or connect it to AC power source so that the restore will not be affected by power issues or low battery.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Please take your time. If your iCloud backup includes all the emails that you wish to be restored, then they will be restored. But if the iCloud backup did not include some emails like your AOL, they will not be restored.