Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs

My gmail account was hacked. Someone is making it look like

Customer Question

My gmail account was hacked. Someone is making it look like I have gone into a dear friend's email account and I'm distributing his personal emails to several of his contacts. It has created a great deal o stress, as his personal and professional reputation is being damaged. He has been given "professional" proof that I am involved, and he told me that the person that gave it to him also has my emails, and contacts. In other words...they admitted that they had hacked my account in order to prove to him that I am an "evil" friend. He lives in Spain, and all the people that have received the emails are also there.
I have the email, fro the gmail team, with the original date that I opened the account, and the verification code. I have deleted the account already, but I was wondering if there was any way I could find out who is doing this? The friendship has been severely damaged, but there is also my word against theirs, and I would like to have my name cleared. Help me please!!!
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Sorry but due to privacy policies the information would never be given out. But, there is not real information to give if this was not the case.

The only thing that's recorded is the IP address of the provider of the person who hacked the account, then you would need to get the information from that internet provider to get specific details. Both of these require court orders and even then they will fight it.

What I advise you to do is enable 2 step verification on your account. When you do this, unless they have physical access to your Cell phone, it will not be possible for them to hack your account. To enable this you can follow the instructions here

This, along with a strong password, will stop further access to your account again.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you