Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  All type of email clients, microsoft, web based, linux
63493917

I have an email problem - I use Squirrelmail as reason Mac

Customer Question

Hi Pearl; I have an email problem - I use Squirrelmail as for some reason Mac Mail doesn't work with my main account. It seems that the quota has been exceeded - I guess that means my mailbox is full - but I have no idea how to fix it; I don't even know how to find out who my service provider is, so if there's any help you can give I'll be very grateful! Ian
JA: Got it. The Email Technician will be able to help you. Is there anything else the Email Technician should be aware of?
Customer: My email address is ****************; the username and password ***** Squirrelmail are *************** and *************, that's about all the info I have. If it's possible to get access and delete a large number of old mails then I hope all would then be well
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Email Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Email
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello Ian, and thank you for choosign JUSTANSWER.com

.

SquirrelMail is what you call an Email Client. And SquirrelMail does not hanlde your Email.....all SquirrelMail does is allow you to View/reply/change/organize and delete the emails that are on the Email server which is associatd to your domain name of IANMACAULAY.com

.

FYI......and a word to the wise....please dont put your passwords in here....this is a public chat session.

.

Moving on......does SquirrelMail give you an error message that says "Quota has been exceeded" ?

Im trying to figure out WHERE this message is coming from.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As far as I understand it, Squirrelmail is an interface, used in my case as Mac Mail wouldn't work with that email account.
I haven't yet tracked down my friend who set it up for me but I assume that the message via Sqml is forwarded from the email provider - if I can find out who that is it might get resolved; isn't there some sort of whois directory for email or am I being wildly optimistic?

AN email client is by definition an interface. It interfaces with the Email server, and gives you a GUI to view, instead of CLI.

But, anyways.....email has the domain name imbedded......you know the stuff that comes after the @ symbol. Thats all you can get from an email as far as indentifying information. And the kicker is, that a person could, just bounce an email around enough times, that the original sender information is essentially LOST. its what folks use to to stay anonymous when sending emails.

.

As far as the actual Email account information (persons name, address, phone number, SSN, etc etc), in a public database, im afraid you are out of luck.

Most notably because FREE email accounts dont require verifying a persons identity, and that it matches up to a real person.

.

So, what exactly, within SquirellMail (SM), might i be able to help you with?

See, the SM wants your email and password ***** for the domain name Email server. (The IANMACAULAY.com domain)

.

Or is there something else i am missing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
in fact I tried whois and got this:Domain Name: IANMACAULAY.COM
Registrar: ASCIO TECHNOLOGIES, INC. DANMARK - FILIAL AF ASCIO TECHNOLOGIES, INC. USA
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 106
Whois Server: whois.ascio.com
Referral URL: http://www.ascio.com
Name Server: NS1.AVENTUREHOST.COM
Name Server: NS2.AVENTUREHOST.COM
Name Server: NS3.AVENTUREHOST.COM
Status: ok https://www.icann.org/epp#OK
Updated Date: 30-sep-2014
Creation Date: 28-nov-2002
Expiration Date: 28-nov-2016No idea if that helps or not.I contacted SQmail and they said 'we're just an interface, you have to contact your email provider', hence my search for that
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll be in intermittent contact now but if you come up with anything on how to find my email provider I'd love to hear it
Thanks
Ian

If this is YOUR domain name that YOU purchased (IANMACAULAY.com), and YOU own. (Own for a limited time anyways).

.

In the case that YOU own the domain....you gotta figure out who you bought it from, like Godaddy, or 1and1.

Then you can login to the control panel for that domain, and sometimes you get Email services WITH your domain purchase.

So you get the domain name right in your email address.

Is this ringing any bells?

So, go to the website with whom you purchased your domain name. and Login there.

Once your logged in there, you might get alot more options about the emails that come through the email server.

Essentially the control panel will allow (sometimes, depending on what your subscription is, and what you pay for) the user to make deep level changes to the email server for your domain name.

This allows for a depper level of inspection of the incoming emails aswell. Which in turn allows for you to better understand who is sending the emails.

Make Sense?

Or am i swinging and missing the pitch again?

Oh...your name server, should have an MX record for the Email server. (MX = Mail Exchanger)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey, thanks for all that - I'm pretty sure I can track down the company who host my website so I'll get to that first thing tomorrow!Cheers
Ian

Oh no problem....might i ask that you take a moment to rate my performance.

Thank you!