Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  CISCO certified computer and networking expert

Outlook file changed to .com file and now only 265kb. need

Customer Question

outlook file changed to .com file and now only 265kb. need contacts. email was set up with imap using gmail. I just changed to pop3 and installed the appdata file and no contacts
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tech Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Email
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello pete
I haven't found anywhere online that I can restore the 265kb .pst file. The PC has Acronis 2013 which hasn't been used since 2014. I think this might be my only recourse is to try to recover the Acronis files but of course they are showing as there are no versions of the back up since the 2013 version won't open them either. I upgraded to 2016 Acronis. I hope you can help. What I need are the contacts from the corrupt .pst files. Is there a way to recover a .pst file that changed to a .com file due to electric outage? I already renamed the file to .pst and showed the hidden files because they were hidden. I am at my wits end. Look forward to your response.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Make sure you are able to view the file extensions, e.g. .com and .pst

Then try changing the file extension.

Let me know if that works?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I already did that and I can see the files without any problem (they are now pst but they are still only 265kb which is the equivalent of an empty pst file. tried importing files into outlook and nothing happens because there is nothing in the file
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In fact i mentioned in my 7:33 post that I already renamed the file and showed hidden files.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

I understand, however I need to be certain that you have renamed the file extension, not just the file name.

Could you send me a screenshot?

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things work out for you?