Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I accidentally set up a MS Account using an inaccessible

Customer Question

i accidentally set up a MS Account using an inaccessible email address, and now am locked out of my laptop. How can i fix this?
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you remember the password ***** the wrong email address?

Do you mean you cannot open any program on the laptop?

Do you have backup?

What's the model of your laptop? Is it new?

Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen on the problematic laptop?
Do you also have another working Windows XP, Vista, or 7 or 8 or 10, or Mac computer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1. If i could remember the password ***** the old address, i wouldn't have a problem.
2. When i start up the laptop, it boots up to the point where windows 10 asks for the account password; this is apparently necessary so that bootup will finish and i can see my desktop. (That's not occurring.)
3. No backup of my hdd.
4. Laptop: Toshiba Satellite C55; about 18 months old. Within the last 10 days, updated to Windows 10, from windows 7.
5. email address showing at the password ***** is the old, inaccessible email address. [*****@******.***]
6. My wife's desktop computer is running Windows XP.

Thank you. What happens when you try to sign in your old twc email address at the twc.com website, what happens?

When you try to reset your microsoft account password, then when prompted, select the option "I don't have any of these", what happens?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1. Incorrect password ***** message (because i don't remember the correct password ***** the twc.com email).2. I've gone thru the password ***** process, but because i don't have any email traffic in over a year with the twc.com address, MS does not have sufficient information to verify thart the old MS Account is actually mine.

Thank you. Have you tried the option "Forgot your TWC Email Password?" at the twc.com email website, and check? Do you currently have service with TWC?

And/or if you'd like to, we can reset the computer fresh, like brand-new.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
doesn't work, since i don't currently have twc.com service. the possibility of resetting the computer fresh, like brand-new sounds just like what i need.

Sorry about that. If you really need your data, then you can take out the hard drive from the laptop, then connect it to another working computer using with a USB hard drive adapter / enclosure, then you can get your data out, then connect the hard drive back to the laptop, then reset the laptop. If you do not need the data, then you can do the reset now.

Here are the steps to reset your laptop:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files", and continue.

Do you see a menu / the Troubleshoot option when trying the above steps?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

How is it going? Is the computer working now? Do you still need help with this?

It's been a few days. Is there still any issue? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

If you still need help with this issue or with anything else, please reply at the box below, so I can help further. If everything is fine, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit. Thank you very much,