Jared Schwager
Jared Schwager,
Experience:  Tier 2 Helpdesk Technician at Sutherland Global Servicces
93019336

I just bought a new computer and am trying to transfer my

Customer Question

Hi Pearl: I just bought a new computer and am trying to transfer my email messages from the old to the new. I am using Windows Live Mail (WLM). I can see my folder tree and the message subject lines but when I click any message to read the contents I see this: Message cannot be foundThe contents of this message cannot be found.Windows Live Mail
JA: Got it. The Email Technician will be able to help you. Is there anything else important you think the Email Technician should know?
Customer: Nope.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Email Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jared Schwager replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'd be more than happy to help you. What is the email address that you are trying to migrate to the new computer (gmail.com, outlook.com, live.com, yahoo.com, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two private domains,***@******.*** and***@******.***. These are POP3 accounts and I was using WLM on my old laptop. I have imported the accounts on to my new laptop (windows 10) and have installed WLM but the imported messages say "message cannot be found"

Thank you for the further information. How were the accounts initially exported from the old computer? Was it by going to the File > Export Mail option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. I originally tried the File>Export Mail option but that only transferred the folder tree. It never copied over the message content. So, I copied the entire contents of my Windows Live Mail folder on to my flash drive and copied that folder onto my new computer. I was almost certain that this would copy all my message content but I just checked the old folders versus new folders and the message files, .eml files are still missing from my new computer. Do you think if I copy the contents of each folder separately, it will work better than trying to copy the entire Inbox all at once?

Let me do a little bit more investigation here on my side. I'll get back to you in a bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good...

Quick question for you. Were both the old and new computers running Windows 10 or was the older one on a different version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Old computer = Windows 8.1, New computer = Windows 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both Computers = Windows Live Mail 2012

Thank you very much. I'll get back to you in a few. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I may have solved the problem. I looked inside each folder copied to my new computer and all the .eml files are missing. When I transferred the folders to my flash drive, I assumed that it copied all the message content. It took over 6 hours to copy all the bulk of data to my flash drive so I could transfer it to my new laptop. So, for some weird reason, the .eml files did not copy.I went back to my old computer and started copying each folder individually and it seems to be working. I can now see my old messages on my new laptop! But it is a slow process, again. It is taking alot of time to copy each individual mail folder and transfer it to the new computer.

Interesting. It might be quicker to transfer them over your local network if that's something you'd like me to help with.

This can be done fairly easily if they're connected to the same WiFi or wired network.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I will hard wire to my router via ethernet and transfer. Both laptops have gig E ports so it should be quicker. I just finished a few of the small folders and they went quick, so I think I should be good to go. Thank you for all your help!

No problem. Glad I could help. Have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THX!

Please consider providing me with a rating as it will help provide me with feedback. Thanks again!