Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I cant remember the hotmail address I used when I set up

Customer Question

I cant remember the hotmail address I used when I set up office on my laptop. After much frustration we recovered the following, is there any way the rest can be recovered
[email protected]
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

No sorry, for security reasons it wont show the rest. But to check, is this to sign into your computer? Or to actually access the email account and the emails within it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's to log on to the microsoft system. The office program was purchased from a retailer and downloaded of the web. Evidently the 'key' is attached to the email address we are trying to access. Without that email then I have wasted to cost of the office program and can't access it
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Thanks

Your credit card details will then be linked to the account so you can find it out this way by calling (as we cannot discuss credit card numbers here)

13 20 58

Explain this is about a paid account, not the free service and you need the details in order to get access to your office program so you can download it again.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the purchase was made through a local retailer(Perth Western Australia). MIcrosoft will have no record of the purchase in their system.
The guy at microsoft was as helpful as a lead balloon and once he discovered that it was linked to an unknown email he couldn't get off quick enough.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

If yop purchased it this way then its not the microsoft account you need, and its not even helpful as its not linked to an account, its a 25 digit number, thats what you will have received from the retailer then, and you need this number. Can you contact the retailer again for this number as they have it on record.

Then you download office from here.

https://setup.office.com/

let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Richard, I have office downloaded onto my laptop. I have the key (25 digits). I either made an error and have entered some weird email address, or alternatively microsoft have generated one when I was down loading it from the net. When i go to activate the program microsoft want the registered email of the user (in this case its me). As I said initially the email that this program (linked to the 25 digit key) is registered to [email protected] .
My question to you is can you recover that hotmail address.
If not thank you for your trouble, if you can great lets have it
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Re 'down loading it from the net' refers to the down loading of the office program.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Not the email address, its like asking where your house is without an address, but, uninstall office, use the 25 digit code and reinstall it again from the link I gave as you should then be able to make a new account.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No they can't as the 25digit code makes direct reference to the unidentifiable email
I spent 5 1/2 hours on the phone with them.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, what so you mean with

"as the 25digit code makes direct reference to the unidentifiable email"

Did you go to the link I gave you and enter in the code?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it reads as follows:- This product key is valid but was redeemed with a different Microsoft account : [email protected]
This is the right place to install and reinstall Office 2016, Office 2013 and Office 365 subscription but you signed in with an account not associated with any office productBeen there several time and had the ssame resu;t each time
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, so they have a copy of it, call the number I gave you and give them the product code so they can look it up please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I spent 5 1/2 hours on that phone number.
Once he knew that the download was linked to a unidentifiable email he could not get off quick enough
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, concerning they would not look this information up for you and it took 5 1/2 hours for them to sat no is really strange as they are generally quite helpful. Possibly you had a very unhelpful person, but this is your only course of action, it should not take 5 1/2 hours to have them say this so that in itself is a concern, but you would have to try to get them to give you the information else your going to have to purchase office again as we have exhausted all other options for this sorry,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't finished with Microsoft yet.Its more a matter of principle - not my fault that they wont/cant (which I don't believe anyway) and I out of pocket for the cost of the program which I cant useThank you, I am presuming this was free. Yes ?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

No, its a paid service, and you already made the deposit when you made the question. I can only go through all the options you have which we did, and indicate to you what you need to do, which is to contact the number I gave and using the product key, get the linked account. It has not been an issue with previous customers before so I am not sure why they are giving you such a hard time, which is why I would advise you to try calling them back again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What happened to the 100 % guarantee .The situation has not changed and you have been unable to help. Everything you suggested I had already done.And I got the distinct impression that you were skip reading the information I was providing.I will discuss the matter with PaypalThank you
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok...

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Please tell me which information I was skip reading?

And you do not need to go to Paypal, if you do not wish to pay for the service received you can just request a refund.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry but everything you suggested I had done at least twice, the matter is still not resolved and probably became frustrated due to the lack of 'new' action.I will accept the kind offer of a refund, thank you very much.I guess I may have to put it down to experience, but I'll give Microsoft a good shop before I'm finishedThanks for your time
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help Richard,When you have time re read the conversation and perhaps you'll pick up on the feeling I got that you were skip reading.A number of repeats of information I had already given. Perhaps I was talking short hand.Anyway its done, now we start with MicrosoftAll the best
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Disconnecting now
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, sorry not seeing specifically where I missed information which is what I asked you for.