James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Just used WET a couple of weeks ago to go from xp to 7, now

Customer Question

Just used WET a couple of weeks ago to go from xp to 7, now addressbook in outlook won't populate , can't transfer contacts, no auto complete..etc.
JA: Huh?
Customer: Just the answer I wanted thanks for your help.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Email Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I converted from Win XP to Win 7, I have Outlook running fine execpt the address book does not have my info in it. The info is in the contact folder and I can't copy or move it to address book. Also Address book willnot allow me to enter new addresses.Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/email/6caov-fix-broken-address-book-outlook-2007.html#ixzz41HdAFCcy
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Email Technician now?
Customer: I converted from Win XP to Win 7, I have Outlook running fine execpt the address book does not have my info in it. The info is in the contact folder and I can't copy or move it to address book. Also Address book willnot allow me to enter new addresses.OK
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Email Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Do you have a backup of your address book before upgrading to Windows 7?

Also, what version of Outlook are you using: 2003, 2007, 2010?
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Outlook 2007 I may have a backup on an external hard drive.
Thanks
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please do the following:

1. Close ALL programs especially MS Outlook and other MS Office programs
  2. Click Start, and in the search box, type:

"cmd" (without quotes)

3. In the search results, you shall see CMD there listed, right-click on it, then click Run as Administrator
  4. Click OK or YES when prompted to confirm the action
  5. When you get the black command window, type this command and press Enter to execute:

sfc /scannow

6. There is space between c and / in the command above
  7. Allow the scan to complete. It can take some time
  8. After it is done, close the Command Prompt window and restart the computer
  9. Then test your Outlook

Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess