Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  CISCO certified computer and networking expert
30970729

My friend has fallen on some bad times because of an email

Customer Question

My friend has fallen on some bad times because of an email with false accusations sent to his (now former) girlfriend. I'm trying to find out who was behind the email. Unfortunately all I have is the email address and a the email header from a forwarded version of the email (The ex girlfriend has the original and will not be likely to forward the email header from her original message).
JA: Got it. The Email Technician will be able to help you. Are you ready to speak with the Email Technician now?
Customer: Yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Email Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Email
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The email address is***@******.*** and the email header is as follows ("Jess" sent the email to the girlfriend's work email. The girlfriend then forwarded it to my friend.)Received: from WSXT138MBX.hdwa.health.wa.gov.au ([169.254.7.85]) by WSXT111EHT.hdwa.health.wa.gov.au ([172.30.80.11]) with mapi id 14.03.0195.001; Fri, 8 Jan 2016 12:16:58 +0800
X-Ms-Tnef-Correlator:
In-Reply-To:
X-Tm-As-User-Blocked-Sender: No
X-Ms-Exchange-Organization-Scl: -1
X-Tm-As-User-Approved-Sender: Yes
X-Ms-Exchange-Organization-Authmechanism: 04
X-Ms-Has-Attach:
X-Originating-Ip: [172.30.80.5]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Thread-Index: AQHROm9QwC8v1EMpx0y/D1J+1y8DMJ7xIehw
X-Ms-Exchange-Organization-Authsource: WSXT111EHT.hdwa.health.wa.gov.au
Message-Id:
Accept-Language: en-AU, en-US
Thread-Topic: I'm sorry
X-Tm-As-Product-Ver: SMEX-10.2.0.1135-8.000.1202-22052.004
References:
X-Tm-As-Result: No--49.606300-0.000000-31
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_450AE3A2C125D04E9BF5F6968114AED36FA4D595WSXT138MBXhdwah_"
Content-Language: en-US
X-Ms-Exchange-Organization-Authas: Internal
FW: I'm sorry
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

Email header and sender information can quite easily be forged.

Even if the header is genuine, the email account could have been hacked and the email written by someone else.

The only way to know where the email originated is to get a court order to force the internet service providers to reveal the information.