Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

My Safari has frozen and a message appears which says do not

Customer Question

My Safari has frozen and a message appears which says do not restart or shut down your computer or files will be lost. It give a number to call (Microsoft) but the number is ***** busy. I think it is a scam, one I have experienced before. I will probably contact a Geek Squad person to help me out. Any suggestions before I do?
Henry ****** - ***********************.
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Yes, it is a scam, so do not follow any instruction from it. Please try the following fix:

1. Force quit the Safari application by clicking on the Apple logo / menu, then click on the option Force Quit (or press at the same time the 3 keys Command-Option-Esc on the keyboard)
    , then select the item Safari, then click on Force Quit button at the bottom, then click on Force Quit to confirm.
    ; (if needed, shut down / restart the computer)
  2. Then press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard, and open Safari application
    ; once Safari application is open, then release the Shift key.
    , then that message / webpage should not load any more.
  3. Then click on the Safari menu at the top, then click on Clear History and Website Data and clear (or Reset Safari and reset), then check.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry, I gave up and took my Mac to the Geeks at Best Buy. I'm sure your advice would work but it's out of my hands now. The Mac comes back to me in a day or so, minus the malware that was causing the problem. Have a good day!

I'm sorry, my quick solution could have resolved your issue quickly, but I guess somehow you did not see my response yesterday. No problem; we're canceling this for you. If you still need help with anything, please let me know any time. Thank you for the update.