James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

My computer is allowing me to receive gmail but not to send

Customer Question

My computer is allowing me to receive gmail but not to send it. All other devices (laptop, iPad and iPhone) are having no problem
I did establish a two step verification on this computer last summer, but it is not allowing me to access that either.
Thank you
Category: Email
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to assist you. What is the Error You are Getting and Which e-mail application you are running on your computer, also after enabling two step verification did you input the app password?

Optional Remote Connect Service - Quick Resolution

Would you like me to remotely connect to your computer and fix the issue - The remote service will be an additional service for $34 but will allow me direct access to work on your issue and fix it (while you watch on your screen). If you need remote service, reply with the words "i want remote". If you do not need the remote service, then simply provide me the requested information above. If you need remote service reply me with the words "i want remote".

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The sender address ** was rejected by the server smtp.gmail.com.
The server response was: Authentication Required. Learn more athttps://support.google.com/mail/answer/14257 p80sm3213097qge.0 - smtp
I am using apple mail 9.2 -- gmail never sent me the prompt for the two step verification.

You will have to configure it yourself. Please go to Preferences, and go to the EDIT SMTP Settings option, from there type me the Authentication Settings you see, if it is showing SSL and Normal Password?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just answer my question please --- I don't want to spend any more money

You will need to reconfigure authentication settings, and if you enabled two step verification you will need to update the new generated password. I thought it would be better to walk you through the steps to fix this, but if you want a direct answer then that is to reconfigure settings in Apple Mail for SMTP. You'll need to generate the password ***** logging into your Gmail via webmail, and then going to Account Settings -> App Passwords -> adding mac and mail client to list of allow applications and then generating a password, Once you get the password ***** will copy it to the SMTP setting on the MAC MAIL where it asks for the password, set authentication to normal password, and SSL/TLS.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is not helpful
Thank you but I am finished

I can connect with you remotely, without additional charges and sort this out for you. Would you like me to do that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please cancel this
You have already charged more than you were authorized to charge

I will request this to be cancelled. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please cancel

It's already requested.