James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Here. a week we have been having problems on both our Mac

Customer Question

Hi ***** *****, David here. For about a week we have been having problems on both our Mac with our emails. More than half the time we are getting this message on ALL our accounts The server returned the error: Connections to the server “p02-imap.mail.me.com” on the default ports timed out.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well I have just fitted a new Vodafone Modem which has not cured the problem. My wife and I have Mac Book Air's, and its happening on both computer, both using Apple Mail. Its happening to our MobileMe emails, and Vodafone and Yahoo and Gmail accounts
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Email
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.

to clarify, does this happen with all accounts on all computers? ...and did it begin happening all at once?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It started on my wife's computer Gradually and now my computer is doing it. All of a sudden the little triangles with a question mark that are alongside all the inboxed and drafts and sent email boxes go away but cone back a little later. Can't send mail when they are there
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
im answering this on my iPhone. The triangles just cleared on my Mac and your 2 emails arrived but the triangles are still on my wife's computer. It's annoying

Ok,

Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running on each Mac, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Both have the latest El Capitan. I'd prefer not to phone. I am 70 and hearing impaired and phones are challenging !!!!

Alright,

Can you please download and run the following tool on your Mac?

http://www.etresoft.com/download/EtreCheck.zip

It will collect information about your system for diagnostic purposes.

Run the app once it has downloaded

On the first screen, feel free to choose a problem but you can leave description blank since you’ve already told me. Next, click “Start EtreCheck”.

When it is finished collecting data, click “Share Report” and choose "Copy report to clipboard"

Then click “I Accept” and paste it back to me as a reply. (You should be able to paste it back by right-clicking or Ctrl-clicking where you type your reply to me and then choosing Paste from the pop-up menu).

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have received yr last message on my iPhone but not my Mac. Little triangles with exclamation marks back. Pressing get mail does not work ( although it's set to auto check every minute !). One my problem clears and I get ur last email on my Mac I will run program and get back to you. Cheers

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi John - if you are still there. I don't know what time zone you are in - I am in New Zealand GMT +13.
I finally managed to run the program you sent me, and here is the saved file.
Cheers

Hi again,

can you please try running OS X in Safe Boot mode for a bit and see how Mail behaves then?

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

Once you've finished putting mail through it's paces, restart your Mac and let me know the results.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I rebooted in Safe Mode as advised, and the result is the same.
Please see attached screen shot taken while in safe mode to see what I am experiencing.
Cheers
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm not sure if the last message went to you, so I am resending it

Thanks, ***** ***** going to opt out so an expert with fresh eyes can handle this question. When one becomes available, they will contact you.

Please do not reply back until you hear from them as it may delay the transition.

Thanks and good luck!

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Sorry you are having this issue, there is a censor inside that looks for paper, these often times fail. This type of behavior is a hardware problem on the printer, it has nothing to do with your PC. Depending on how old this is, and rather you would rather fix it or buy a new one (the price to fix it may be a s much as a new one) will dictate your next move.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Tim, I don't have a printer problem that I know of. I have a Mac Mail problem.
Cheers
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

I'm so sorry, I posted this to the wrong question.