Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Experience:  I have 7+ years of experience in fixing emails issues.
33602187

A friend of mine had an AOL account which he did not use

Customer Question

Customer: A friend of mine had an AOL account which he did not use for a couple of years. he has recently been able to access it again but the emails in it only go back to 2009. Cont... Are they gone forever or is it possible for AOL to retrieve the older ones (perhaps for a fee)? Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I sent the first paragraph before I had finished typing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Email technicians generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Email
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

The emails are essentially permanently gone from AOL's servers. There is no way to contact AOL to retrieve them.

If they had AOL setup within Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live Mail, or something similar at one time. They may have had AOL setup with a pop3 account which downloads emails from AOL servers to their computer locally, which then removes them from the servers as well. So without the emails saved locally on a computer somewhere they can't be recovered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said "There is no way to contact AOL to retrieve them", not that they can not be retrieved by AOL. I have "contacts" at AoL. Would that help? Also the emails are needed for a legal matter, so there may be funding for AOL to try and find them ...if we can contact them.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

If you have a way to contact AOL, it's worth a try. I would say the chances they have a backup dating 6+ years is unlikely. Usually places like this has a policy of how long they keep a backup for certain things. Email is not going to be high on the list, they probably only have a record dating back a couple months at most when they are deleted from the account.

Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Sandy and I look forward to help you today with the best answer possible.

I'm sorry about the issue.

I will work with you until it gets fixed. This is a question and answer session. Please do not hesitate to reply back to me at the box given below.

It is unlikely that AOL keeps backup of emails for long time. But, to confirm that I suggest you to please contact AOL team on this number:***-***-****

Regards, Sandy