Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Help! My daughter set up my gmail acct under her acct

Customer Question

Help! My daughter set up my gmail acct under her acct name... Now I cant access my gmail, she can't remember information, ie password, or security question, nor can I. What do I do? My email is fine on my iPhone, just no access on my iPad ...
Thank you, ***** ***** will be awesome, Connie
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you now using a computer? Or iphone or ipad?

Have you accessed your Gmail account using your computer before?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm using my iPhone , I use my iPad as well, but that's the device I can't access my mail on... I don't use a computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Please tell me the following:

1. In your iPhone where you can access your Gmail, how do you access your Gmail there? Are you using web browser like Safari? Or are you using the Mail app?
  2. Can you please tell me the username part of your Gmail account, the part of your email address before the @gmail.com so that I can check your recovery information.

Thank you.

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I use my gmail app.... When u say user name, is it my email ...?. , [email protected] Com
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to check for your recovery information. I will get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for patiently waiting. I have checked for your recovery options and indeed you have a recovery email address. It is masked or hidden as "k••••••n @ gmail.com".

Do you or your daughter recognize that email address? If yes, can you or she still access that email address?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's her email acct... She's in wash DC, I'm in Grand Rapids mi.. What do I do?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, what we can do here is to initiate a RESET of the password. That is, we can only change the password ***** a reset because you forgot the original password.

After a successful reset, you will be asked to set a NEW password. You will need this password ***** your iPad and you need to update your iPhone too.

But you need to contact her since she will receive a code or a link from Gmail in the reset process.

Can you tell me her email address WITHOUT the @gmail.com part?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure.... Kmaitlain
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry but when I initiated the reset process, it says "kmaitlain @ gmail.com" is NOT the correct recovery email on their record.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now what?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Please confirm with her if her email is "kmaitlain" or if she has another Gmail account starting with K and ending with N.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll get right back, after I check this out
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi.... No luck getting in touch with her.. On my iPad, in settings, mail, it shows***@******.*** in name... Then my email..
Only iPhone, it shows Connie maitland , then my email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. I believe then, that she misspelled her Gmail address when associating it in your Gmail account since "kmaitlain @ gmail.com" is NOT the correct recovery email on the record. If you notice, there are 7 characters IN BETWEEN k and n in "kmaitlain" while in the recovery email on record, there are only 6 dots which represent 6 characters only.

In your case, the password ***** option will not work.

The last option is to fill out the recovery form. In this form, you will need to verify your account by providing information that the form will ask of you. Such information includes subjects to emails you sent, email addresses of the people you sent emails to, the date when you can still access the account, the date (approximate only) the account was created, and other similar information.

If it a good thing that you are still able to access your Gmail in your iPhone so that you can actually see the information on your email account like the email addresses of your contacts and the subjects of the latest emails.

In order to access and submit the recovery form to recover your Gmail account and set a new password, you need to open this link in a web browser:

https://www.google.com/accounts/recovery/skt?hl=en

Please follow the on screen procedures to submit the form and wait for Gmail to contact you for the results.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jess, Google contacted me. Sent me a code, I in turn sent that code to my daughter., where she changed my password ***** but it still won't work in my opad
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about the late reply. Please try to ensure that you key in the password (that your daughter set for you) correctly. Passwords are case sensitive.

Also, to verify if indeed the password ***** you are trying to use (the one your daughter set for you) is working for your account or not, please do the following:

1. Open your web browser in your iPad. (Do not use the Gmail app)
  2. Using the web browser, go to http://gmail.com
  3. If you are NOT redirected to the login page, please locate and tap the "Sign in" link at the top of the page
  4. Enter your full Gmail address in the username
  5. Enter the password ***** your daughter created or set for you
  6. Click the Sign In button and then see if you are able to sign in to your Gmail account

Now, if you are able to sign in to your account in the web browser, I suggest that in the Gmail app, please check if your Gmail account was already added there. If it is already added (but not working due to password ***** rejected), please REMOVE the account and then add it again.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess