Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

How do I prove I didn't set up a gmail account

Customer Question

Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please elaborate the question? Why do you need to prove that you have not setup a Gmail account? And to who do you need to present this proof?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I received an email at***@******.*** that says that I set up account***@******.***. I don't remember doing this. Did I set this up or is it in error?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Did you receive this email from a known or reliable source? Or is he/she threatening you of any liability of this "account" that you did not setup?

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There was an email sent from gmail saying I had set up a new account. I did not and its creating a big issue in my relationship. I need to be able to prove I did not set up that new account. I don't know how that email got linked to my existing email address
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about the problems that this caused you.

Unfortunately, a "gmail.com" account can be created for FREE by anyone and from anywhere. The sad part is, anyone who has an internet connection, can create an email account -- can create that "itsbrendakay @ gmail.com" account specifically, without any documentary requirements to identify herself or himself being the person behind the email.

If you are near or if you can meet the person who said that you created this account which you did not, then here are the practical steps that you can do to prove to him or to her that you did not create or USE such account:

1. You can show him or her your computer to prove that there are no "traces" of that account in your computer
  2. If you use your mobile phone to access your Gmail, then you can show your phone to him or her to prove that there are no traces of that email in your phone

In this case of yours, since they claimed that they received an email from "itsbrendakay @ gmail.com" pretending to be coming from you, then you can ask them to actually trace the sender of that email. It is their burden now to prove that it came from you, since they received that email and you have no copy of such email.

Here are the steps you can tell them to follow so that they can trace the sender of that email:

1. In their email account, using a web browser, access or open the email from "itsbrendakay @ gmail.com" that they mentioned.
  2. When the email is open, in the drop down box that says REPLY, click on the small down-arrow then click on Show Original
  3. Here is my screen shot:
    http://filesxpress.com/d-f8724c9d
  4. Then they will see the source code of the email. There they need to locate the IP address of the sender. It is the IP address in the line starting with "Received from" and an IP address is a code in this format: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx can be 000 to 255. Example: 234.124.211.122
  5. Here is my sample for you:
    http://filesxpress.com/d-6e13bd36
  6. If they got the IP address, then they can use http://whatismyip.com to trace the location of the email.

There is not much that you can do to prove that you DID NOT create or OWN that email account than to show them your phone or computer. They can however use the steps above to actuyally trace the location of the sender of the email that pretended to have come from you.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The email sent to my existing email address was a confirmation from the Google team saying I had set up a new account. (As I said earlier). There was no email FROM the new account it was from Google. Is there a way for us to access this new account so I can show it was NOT ME that set up this new account. I don't have the password ***** any answers to the questions because I didn't set it up. It was just somehow connected to my account
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for that clarification. Can I remotely access your computer so that I can check that email from Google if it is legitimate or if it is a phishing email?

Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.

Please let me know if you want this remote option.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I only have an iPad. How is you accessing this going to prove I didn't set it up? Can you not tell from the URL that that email was set up from what city or something it was set up from?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

I am very sorry but that will not work. The tracing of the sender only works using an IP address and there is nothing in the URL that can provide the IP address.

Since you did not create this account, I believe someone created this account (itsbrendakay @ gmail.com) in error and added your legitimate account (itsbrendakay @ gmail.com) as an alternate email address, thus, you got this email notification.

If you checked the email message, there could be some advice there from Google/Gmail that if you did not initiate the email notification, or if you did not created the account, or something to that effect, you can just ignore it.

Can you copy and paste the entire message body of the email notification that you got from Gmail so that I can check it from here?

Thank you.

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sent from my iPadBegin forwarded message:From: "Gmail Team"
Date: November 12, 2015 at 3:54:07 PM MST
To: "***** *****"
Subject: Your Gmail address,***@******.***, has been createdWelcome to Gmail! You can login to your account at http://mail.google.com/.Here are a couple of tips to help you get started:Use Gmail's import tools to move mail and contacts from your other email accounts to your new Gmail address.
Download the mobile app for Android or iPhone and iPad to stay connected on the go.
Should you ever encounter problems with your account or forget your password ***** will contact you at this address.Enjoy!The Gmail TeamIf you didn't create this Gmail address and don't recognize this email, please visit: https://accounts.google.com/AccountDisavow?adt=AOX8kipNGmWfKHNinmCaVoOUVO2ytCyvoR-X5mifgUvLk6RR7CIoBZJsDMdiRSroLQ to unlink this account.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Indeed there is a note from Gmail in case you did not create this "itsbrendakay54 @ gmail.com" email account.

And since you did not create this, someone could have created this account and accidentally linked it to your account.

Thus, the best option is to use the link provided to UNLINK it to your current account.

Please click on this link then to unlink your Gmail to this unknown Gmail account:

https://accounts.google.com/AccountDisavow?adt=AOX8kipNGmWfKHNinmCaVoOUVO2ytCyvoR-X5mifgUvLk6RR7CIoBZJsDMdiRSroLQ

Also, can you please check the actual email address of that sender that only shows "Gmail Team"? Please check the actual email address of that sender of this notification so that I can check further if it is indeed from Gmail or Google.

The Google or Gmail notifiers are noreply @ google.com or no-reply @ gmail.com or something in that pattern.

I hope that helped.

Thank you.

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you please ensure that my payment is for this one time only service and that I have not subscribed to a monthly or any further services. Thank you
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back. Yes, I can see it from my end and can confirm to you that you have NOT subscribed to our service so this will be a one time transaction only and that you will NOT be billed automatically each month.

I hope I was able to help.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess