James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I downloaded Windows 10 on my Laptop on December 4, 2015,

Customer Question

I downloaded Windows 10 on my Laptop on December 4, 2015, But notable to log onto my account on that computer, but I can not logon to my desktop. However, I had at technician down load Windows 10 onto my Desktop which I am abled to log ont just fine. Is it possible to use the same MS Account on my Laptop that I use on my Desktop.
On 12-24-15, I received an email Entitled...Microsoft account Security Code
From: [email protected] microsoft.com. This email provided the following Security Code 6277. I have tried to use it on my laptop, but it doesnot work.
The password ***** setup on the Laptop was***@******.***.
I am very frustrated with being able to use my Laptop since I downloaded Windows 10.
Can you pleasxe help me with this problem?
Thanks
JD Chatman
Category: Email
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, i'm Tim, also in Colorado and will be assisting.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Sounds like you are confusing a local log in with another that is registered with micosoft.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Lets check the account that you think is the microsoft account, log in and then go to Start--->search for settings --->go to PC settings---> go to accounts and tell me whats listed to the right,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am can can't log on to my laptop, which is the problem.The Microsoft is the hotmail account on my Desk Top. It is not the same account for the Laptop. Do Can both computers utilize the same MS Account??? I will go to PC Settings on the Desktop now.
Do I get there through the Control Panel, or some other section?
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

follow my directions above. Yes more than one computer can use a MS account.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I listed My MS account previously which is *****@******.*** is listed on the settings as Administrator.
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

you dont need to post your log inhere, but thanks.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

so you are able to log into that desktop using that user name right? But not the laptop, thats the problem.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Let me know when you are back so i can validate where we are at.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like the laptop is set up with a local account, meaning one just for that machine, you can set it up to use your microsoft account, but not with out the local account. You have to be able to log in to do so.

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Are you here?

Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

I'll check back later.