Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My computer has Windows 8.1. I have a Google account and

Customer Question

My computer has Windows 8.1. I have a Google account and have been using Gmail for some years. I've never had trouble to login to Google/Gmail, but for Gmail I've rarely had to login for it. Yesterday (New Year Day for sure!) something got goofy with my computer. Several accounts I use seem to have lost my password, though I've never stored passwords on m computer. Gmail wanted me to log in. When I tried, they didn't know my password (several tries). So, I asked for a new password. I went through the steps to get a new password, but then they wanted my email address. I supplied the address I've used for years now, and they said SOMEONE ELSE already has that name. Based on my name and phone number, they showed a verison.net address that I haven't used for years. I am totally lost.
--charles
Category: Email
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Charles, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Im sorry to hear about the sudden troubles you are having with your google / gmail accounts.

I noticed you mentioned that you are still able to get email on your phone. To clarify, is it your gmail email that is still coming in through your phone using the same old password?

Thank you for your response.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
your temporary password ***** on my phone(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've gotten many other emails on my phone today. All senders were using my gmail address
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In my question I failed to mention, though you probably already know, it's impossible to contact a human at Google, at least a normal user like me. I tried to find a way
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

To be clear, its not my temporary password.

I work with Justanswer.com, not with Google. But again to clarify, mail is working on your phone, correct?

It may be best if you and I connect via a screen sharing session so that you and I can work on this issue directly.

Would you like to try a screen sharing session, or try and work on this through written word only?

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
let's chat on screen. The password ***** sent - JustAnswer knew me, but I had lost my Justnswer password, so they sent me a new one via gmail to my phone.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Just to be clear, your justanswer password ***** gmail password ***** unrelated.

Heres what I understand about the issue so far. You were able to reset and continue using your email on the phone.. Did you set a new password ***** they sent you t he temporary password ***** gmail on the phone?

Also, you mentioned that "" I've gotten many other emails on my phone today. All senders were using my gmail address ""

Do you mean that a bunch of emails are being sent from your gmail account, that you didnt actually send? Please clarify?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

h

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't use Gmail on my computer becasue they want me to log in and I can't. Nevertheless, I still get from my family and friends and junk mail on my phone. They are using my gmail address. I did set a new password ***** Google, but when I tried to log kn with it, they wanted my email address. That's when they said someone else already have that address. (It's me, but I can't log in!!)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got a msg from you with just the letter "h" Are you still with me?
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Ahh.. It sounds like youre on the new account creation page.

And not the actual login page.. lets try this.. Use this link specifically

https://mail.google.com/

If you do not see your email address already showing in t he center of the page.

Then at the top right click "sign in" ( not sign up )

After clicking sign in type in the full gmail address, and t he new password ***** set via your phone.

Will it let you sign in now.. And if not, what does it say?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried. I clicked the url you supplied. It immediately sent me to https://accounts.google.com/b/0/AddMailService
and there they insist I give a gmail address and won't accept***@******.***
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
https://accounts.google.com/b/0/AddMailService
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Ok, on that page.. Do you see any text in blue where it says "" sign in" or " sign in with a different account" or " add account" ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NO where
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Which browser are you using? ( and also, This is something I am certain can be quickly resolved by a screen sharing session, Im sending a reduced offer for that method of support, this is an optional offer. )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no full caps intended
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I meant Nowhere
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Understood..

I read over our conversation, and I dont see where you mentioned, or I asked for your browser.

I need to know what browser you are using.. Internet explorer, firefox, google chrome, etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chrome
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.. Can you try with a different browser instead.

Such as firefox or internet explorer. Try to sign in again.. And look for the text in blue where it says "" sign in" or " sign in with a different account" or " add account"

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure -- IE
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey! That worked. I got a lot of email. What now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
BTW, the new Google password ***** made yesterday wasn't accepted, but my befoer yesterday worked
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Ok, The issue must be with google chrome then. So if you want to keep using chrome.. I suggest we reset it~

Heres how. https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

Once reset, you should then be able to log into gmail using chrome again. let me know if you run into any issues doing so, after we complete the reset.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, Dustin. I gather you are signing off. I would like to continue with Chrome/Gmail if possible. If I fail, what next? I guess a new call to JA?
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

No sir, Not at all.

I will be on shift for the next 6 hours , roughly. Id like to help you complete the entire process, no new calls to JA would be neccesary unless it was about a completely unrelated issue, or a new and different issue. My apologies for any confusion.

Did you see my message about resetting chrome above?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try your suggestion with Chrome
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I will be standing by.. If you encounter any issues, let me know~