Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

How do I transfer outlook files/settings to new computer

Customer Question

How do I transfer outlook files/settings to new computer (including file folder hierarchy)
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues.

What version of Outlook do you have on your OLD computer? in the NEW computer?

What email accounts do you have on your OLD Outlook? (Yahoo Mail? Gmail? Hotmail?, etc)

Are you using Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jess,
Old computer died (wine on keyboard). Outlook 10, I think. Outlook 16 on new computer.
Three Comcast email accounts
Windows 7 operating system
One of primary things I'm interested in is how to transfer folder structure in Outlook. I save e-mails in probably 20 folders within Outlook.
Thanks,
Ted
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ted,

Thank you for writing back. Are you saying that the old computer is no longer working or functional? If yes, then how do you plan to "transfer" the emails when the source computer is no longer working? Do you have a backup of your data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, old computer kaput. I do have back up but not sure which outlook folder has old e-mails vs. config settings that might have folder structure in them.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ted,

Thank you for that information. This is critical since Outlook uses PST files to store emails and other stuffs but not contacts.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check your backup and restore them to your NEW Outlook in the new PC while you watch?

Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($20) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.

Please let me know if you want this remote option.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess,
I'm open to the remote access option. First, I need to find the back-up the computer shop created from my hard drive. I spilled a glass of wine on my old laptop, which immediately incapacitated it. Luckily the hard drive was intact, so they created a copy of the data. I just need to find it. Stay tuned. Happy New Year.
Ted
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Happy New Year Ted!

Thank you for your permission to do remote access. I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access. Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.

Jess