Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have sent an email to the wrong person. It hasn't been

Customer Question

I have sent an email to the wrong person. It hasn't been read and I need to I send it
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What email do you use, such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm on Firefox but the message was sent from aol to aol
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I remember years ago I did this and as long as it hadn't been read you could take it back

I'm sorry. You are correct, but unfortunately, AOL got rid of the unsend (email recall) feature a long time ago. Also, nowadays, all other regular email providers, such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc., do not provide the unsend feature. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there any way I can alter the message since it hasn't been read?

Unfortunately, you cannot. I think AOL stopped this feature because of privacy issue, i.e., the email provider is not allowed to get into the other person's email Inbox and look through or delete or edit his/her emails. Thank you.

Nowadays, the recall feature only works with an Exchange email server, like in a company/corporate environment. For regular email accounts, such as hotmail, yahoo, gmail, aol, etc., or email account from your Internet service provider, there is no recall feature/option. You can see more details at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/recall-or-replace-an-email-message-that-you-sent-HA001230419.aspx

Nowadays, with regular email providers, once you have sent an email message, it is instantly sent to the other person's email Inbox. It is similar to the way that once your postal mail is picked up by the post office, you cannot stop its delivery. Per privacy policy, the email provider is not allowed to get into the other person's email Inbox and look through or delete his/her emails. The only thing you can do is to send another email message and ask the person not to read your previous email message. When sending any email message, make sure to check carefully both the name and email address of any recipient as some names and addresses are similar. Thank you.

I'm sorry again about this issue. Basically, just remember that you cannot recall any email message at all, so just be careful whenever sending any email message from now on.

Do you have any other computer question / issue I can help with today?

I hope I have explained everything. But if you have any further question, or if you have any other computer question/issue, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Happy holidays! Thank you very much,