James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I am using Outlook 13 and recently moved to windows 10. Now

Customer Question

I am using Outlook 13 and recently moved to windows 10. Now I cannot maintain my file structure in Outlook. It resorts itself every time I turn off the computer. How can I re-train it?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. What email account do you have in your Outlook 2013? Is it a Gmail account? Yahoo Mail? Hotmail? or others?

Also, how is this email account setup: as POP or IMAP?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is Bell (sympatico). It is IMAP.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I say Bell, I am in Canada.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also have a Gmail account and whatever Samsung is using. These are used seldom, on small screens, however they are the probably the cause of the duplicate folder names.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for writing back with that information. What exactly did you mean by "file structure" in your Outlook 2013? Are you referring to the "View" of your email and other data? Or are you referring to the folder email folders in your sympatico account?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am referring to the folder email folders in the sympatico account. I have a large, nested file structure of probably ~100 folders.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

First, since you are using an IMAP account, it has a sync feature. Have you tried to check if the "file structure" that you desire is also existing when you access your sympatico email using a web browser? If not yet, please try to access your Sympatico email account using your web browser and then check the file structure there. What you see there is what you shall also see in your Outlook.

Now, please change or arrange your email folders there in the web browser if possible, then try to let Outlook sync. See if the changes you make this time is retained even after restarting your computer.

Thank you. Please keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On relooking at my screen, I am probably using the term 'view' incorrectly. My problem occurs in the first screen that Outlook opens. For me that is a three row screen. First is a column of folders. Most of these are folders that I have created to store read emails related to ongoing concerns. It also includes calendar items, unread emails, contacts and tasks. These are the folders I cannot get to stay in the order I wish. The second column is unread email, third is the reviewing pane.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The second column is more accurately unfiled, or 'unfoldered' email. It could be read or unread. My need is to place the folders I create in the first column at the top of the list so I do not need to scroll the page to find them. Calendars, items, send, deleted, etc, are at the bottom of the list as it does not matter if I have to scroll to find them as that is a relatively rare activity.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try what you suggest.
Michael
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Have you tried to use the VIEW commands in your Outlook? Please click on the View tab or menu, then click on View Settings. There you can play with the different views that you might want.

Please take your time and keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see the synchronize section; this is new to me. Presumably I list my folders using the 'update folders' command. After that I am not sure what happens.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back. Are you still having the same problem right now? Have you done the sync and has it fixed the problem?

Please let me know so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess