Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have forgot my local PC password. I'm running windows 10.

Customer Question

I have forgot my local PC password. I'm running windows 10. How can I recover it or reset it?
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you mean you are not able to open any program on the Windows 10 computer at all? Or is there another user account that you can log in and use (if so, is it an administrator account or a local account)?

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen? If yes, do you recognize that email address? If yes, do you currently have access to that email address or not?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the only user on this machine. My name appears on the sign in screen. No email address.

Thank you. Is it okay to reset the computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a very large amount of data on this machine. I would have to back it all up before wiping the drive and starting over. This is something I do not want to do unless there is absolutely no other way.

I'm sorry, so you do not have backup of your data, i.e., documents, pictures, etc., to a USB drive, etc.

You would have to take out the hard drive from the computer and get a USB hard drive adapter/enclosure to back it up on another computer, then reset it.

What's the model of the computer? Are you able to take out the hard drive from it? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems that I have no choice but to back my files up on an external hard drive, then wipe my machines drive and start over. Am I correct?

Actually, there is a password ***** program that you need to burn to a blank CD disk (or using a flash drive); it can get complicated. But let me open this issue to other experts for more ideas. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would think that there would be a way to start the machine in safe mode and change the password ***** DOS commands. Am I mistaken?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ron. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Unfortunately, getting Windows into Safe Mode

requires a password ***** same as logging in to normal mode. Resetting the password ***** a bootable reset disk or flash drive

is the only option short of a complete re-install. I can help you do this but it's past midnight where I'm at and I would rather

do this at a more convenient time for both of us.