Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  CISCO certified computer and networking expert
30970729

I've received emails from what I believe is not an authentic

Customer Question

I've received emails from what I believe is not an authentic person. How can I find out who the person behind the hotmail address is
Category: Email
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I need information about the person behind this address as it doesn't make sense to me receiving these. Personal details required for the following person ***@******.***
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

This email account belongs to Dianna Hueneburg.

She is not sending out the emails - her email account has been compromised by an unknown hacker or robot to send out spam emails.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That doesn't make sense to me. I'll explain why. We have reason to believe the "owner" of this email address has had a thing with a member of my family. This email address sent out legitimate birthday wishes on Saturday to whichever family member responded as it was their birthday. They had an exchange and all information was correct. I'm questioning your response as it doesn't make sense at all given whAt I've seen and know. So who is the person behind the email. We live in Australia. This person and her interests and her physical features etc do not correlate with any of our information. This person was both familiar with my family member and knew them and knew family information. I think there is someone else behind that address. I found the person you did. I'm afraid you have to dig deeper especially because this person was emailing yesterday. I anxiously await some information. Thank you.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

It is very easy to "spoof" an email address, so if someone is using the email address to target you, then they can make it appear as if it has come from that address when it actually has not.

You can find out more by viewing the full header information of the email. I can demonstrate this remotely if you wish.

I expect you will also have reported this to the authorities already too.

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I notice your rating for my service has not gone through...
Do you need any further assistance?