Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Email Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, Expert in Large Email Platforms
23511658

Opened a virus in gmail that, amongst other things, now

Customer Question

Customer: opened a virus in gmail that, amongst other things, now causes most incoming emails to go into Trash rather than Inbox. Use iPhone, iMac to access my gmail account
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Trash folder does not seem to keep messages longer than ~6 weeks so I have been losing old emails on a regular basis. Anxious to fix and get incoming emails into my Inbox. The virus also sent outbound emails to most of my contact list with a link to a PDF file. Anyone clicking on that received virus as well
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Email Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: if it fixes the problem, sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Email
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can assist you with your question.

There isn't a virus that would have that specific effect directly. But if you are certain that you have opened a virus, the first thing I would do is install and run malwarebytes. You can get malwayrebytes at malwarebytes.org. Download and install the free version - when it asks you if you want the demo of the full version just say no. That will install the completely free version. After the setup, it should prompt you for a full scan. Do the full scan - it will take a while - then when it is done, note how many items it found and click on the button to fix all of them. Reboot and run the scan again until it doesn't find anything.

If you are keeping emails in your Trash folder, you will have to remove them from there and get in the habit of putting them in a different folder. The emails in the trash folder are permanently deleted - that is by design. The trash folder is only for trash. You cannot change that behavior. But you can create a different folder and put emails there. Please let me know if this helps and if you have additional questions. I will help you until your issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Ran the malwarebytes. Didn't seem to find much, but I fixed and re-started computer. Will keep an eye on GmailI can't see myself constantly moving emails from Trash to a different folder. Need to fix Gmail so that emails sent to me come into my Inbox, just like they did before the virus. Please advise.Thanks

Do you know why they are going to trash? I thought you meant you were putting them there. I can connect and help if you want to do a remote session. I will do the Make sure that your filters are not doing this. Go to the gear in the upper right and then settings. You will see various tabs - click on the one that has filters. Remove any filters there that appear to be moving things to trash. Remove them all if you are unsure.

Also, if you delete an email from one device - say, a phone, that phone will place the email in the trash. So avoid that as well.