Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

What do i use for "mail server" and "logon info" when

Customer Question

what do i use for "mail server" and "logon info" when setting up my outlook 2016?
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What email do you use, such as Yahoo, Att, Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, etc.?

What are the options it gives you?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yahoo

Thank you. Please choose Yahoo option if prompted, and here are all the settings for your email, if prompted:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

• Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Your login info

• Email address - Your full yahoo email address
  • Password ***** Your account's password (it is case-sensitive.)
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yahoo is the email page i access my mail from for***@******.***. when my email address was initially set up, it was with at&t. sometimes i still get at&t on certain desktops. very confusing. my internet provider i pay monthly is comcast but do not use that assigned email address.

You may use Yahoo servers or you may be still using att email server (sbcglobal.net and att.net are the same.)

Please try the yahoo email settings first, and check. If the Yahoo email settings I've provided above does not work, then please try these settings:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

• Server - inbound.att.net
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - outbound.att.net
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

If you'd like to, I can connect remotely to your computer and fix the issue directly on your computer for you.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After entering the info you provided in Outlook, a Test Account Setting box came up that reads:
Errors:
Log onto Exchange ActiveSync mail server (EAS): The server cannot be found.My note:
For Mail Server: it does not ask for incoming & outgoing but entered both.

Please cancel, and start over; please do not select Exchange option, but select Email account / IMAP option.

Also, if needed, please try these settings:

Enter imap.mail.att.net for the Incoming mail server, and smtp.mail.att.net for the Outgoing mail server.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not select Exchange option. I typed in the IMAP & SMTP for yahoo server.
Still need to try same for at&t.

Did it ask you for the ports number? You can click on option More settings, then click on the Advanced tab,

- For IMAP accounts, the Incoming server (IMAP) is port 993, the checkbox for This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is selected, and the Outgoing server (SMTP) is port 465 or 587

, check box for secure connection for Outgoing server also.

, then click OK

, and continue.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, im not even getting to that point!
the problem is the account setting page where i enter my email address and for password ***** to provide the password ***** internet service provider has given me. don't know that? what ive been entering isn't being recognized. So im stuck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to stop now. Cant continue any later tonight. Will have to resume tomorrow.
Carrie

Right after opening Outlook 2016 program, or click on File, Add account, then add new account (or account settings , account settings, add), then make sure you select the Manually... option first. Here are the full instructions for Outlook 2013, but it should be similar for Outlook 2016:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/email-support/KM1010505

I can connect remotely to your computer now and check; it is a quick setup. Or we can continue tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to continue tomorrow and have you connect remotely then for a quicker setup. Thank you.

You're welcome. When can you be available tomorrow? And what's your time zone? Please let me know. Thank you.