Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I'm using Office 2010. Just upgraded to Win 10 a few weeks

Customer Question

I'm using Office 2010. Just upgraded to Win 10 a few weeks ago. Outlook had been holding my settings (preview pane, calendar options, etc.) until a couple days ago. Now when I open Outlook, all my customized settings are gone.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Are all your emails and calendar events ect still in Outlook? Or did these dissapear too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The components are still there. I prefer to have the reading pane on the right side and the shortcuts (bottom left corner) only mail and contacts. But every time I open Outlook, the view does not show a reading pane and all the shortcuts are back.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Looks to be corruption that is failing to allow Outlook to keep the settings.

Can you close all programs.

Then press the windows key + X and click on control panel

Click on uninstall a program, office and then click Change then repair.

Let the repair complete and when it has, press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then make some changes in outlook and tell me if they now save please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that and log back on to let you know if it works. Cross your fingers!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and will do!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried what you recommended, but unfortunately the symptoms are still there. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait... I just realized I had only done the repair. I will do the remaining steps and let you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the repair, the sfc / scannow, and the checkdisk. The checkdisk just finished, but the symptoms are still present. I turned on the preview pane and changed which shortcuts are displayed, but when I reopened Outlook, it was back to no reading pane and all the shortcuts being displayed. Any further suggestions? Also, I'm going out of town tomorrow very early and won't be back until Sunday evening, so I won't be checking email for a couple days.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, close outlook

Click start and type in

outlook.exe /cleanviews

Note the space

Press enter

Then close outlook

click start and type in

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Press enter

Then test and tell me if you still have the issue please.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I followed your most recent instructions, but the symptoms are still present. In fact, the Favorites has now begun showing up in the Navigation Pane. What would you suggest trying next? Thanks, Karen
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Can you close all programs.

Then press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

Then tell me if you still have the issue please Karen.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I will start that now - I am leaving for a client's office so it should be done by the time I get back. Will let you know. Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The chkdsk /r just finished. Unfortunately, Outlook is still not holding changes.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did more Googling. I finally found that MS had issued an update on 12/8 - the same time these symptoms started. I uninstalled the KB3114409 update to Outlook and the symptoms have disappeared.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Ok good to hear, I wanted to make sure though all corruption had first been removed which we now have.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you