Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems and Network Engineer
75378780

I have forgotten my password after my laptop crashed and

Customer Question

I have forgotten my password ***** my laptop crashed and have been through the process to open my email a few days ago and have not heard anything?***@******.***
Category: Email
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, sorry to hear about your laptop issues. I'm assuming you had your laptop set up to where you would auto log on and now that its crashed, you do not know the windows password *****?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Gotcha, So this can be really tricky, if you are on windows 8 or later we can trey changing your microsoft ID (assuming you use that to log in) Changing the ID does not always work as credentials are sometimes just stored in cache, but its worth a try. If its a earlier OS It can only be changed by using a bootable USB or cd/dvd with a tool set on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am W8 and answered questions from them to change password ***** have not heard back
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

i see, so you already started the process of changing your log in. How long ago was this? Do you have another computer available that either has a free USB port or a dvd/cd writter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

That's a problem then, we need to create a bootable disk to by pass the windows log on. Other than that you have to get that microsoft ID changed. Did you run into problems when you were changing it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember changing it, I think it was Sunday when started the process
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

gotcha, you only have two options since you don't have access to another PC. 1 follow up with MS on password ***** 2 remember your old password.

There really is no other alternative, i'm sorry to deliver bad news, but there is no other way in besides getting the password ***** remembering the old one, or again making a bootable USB thumb drive or DVD, and then going in and changing the password ***** is fairly technical.