IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My email shows that I have 1 unread in my in box. 21 unread

Customer Question

My email shows that I have 1 unread in my in box. 21 unread in junk & 3 in trash. These do not show on my iPhone or pc. I can't find where to delete them as noting comes up in read. This number is *****
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

Please tell me if you are referring to a GMail account, or another e-mail account. Also, do you access it using a web browser (web mail), or you use an e-mail program such as Microsoft Outlook?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use outlook
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

So, you have a GMail account set up in Outlook? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure of the question. It looks like outlook. But my emails address is msn not gmail. Is ther someplace I can figure that out?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please type your e-mail address here so that I can be sure which e-mail service you use.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Do you access that e-mail account from multiple devices (computers)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iPhone & computer. This does not happen on those devices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the Ipad
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. There are 2 ways of configuring an e-mail account on iPad. One is POP and the other is IMAP.

POP is an old way and it doesn't provide full synchronization with the e-mail server. On the other side, IMAP provides full synchronization.

If you are not sure whether your e-mail account on iPad has been configured as POP or IMAP, you can do a test:

On your iPad, send a new e-mail to yourself. Once you receive it, open it in Inbox. It should then be marked as read. Check the inbox on your iPhone and computer to see if that new e-mail has been marked as read, or it stayed unread (bold).

You can then delete that e-mail on your iPad. After deleting it, check the inbox on your iPhone and computer to see if that e-mail is still there, or it has gone.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It deleted it and does not show an additional number of not read.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. Do you still see unread e-mails in Junk and Trash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the same number as before
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

In that case, I suggest removing your e-mail account on iPad and adding it again. It seems that is was set up as POP. Once you re-add it, it should be set up as IMAP that provides full synchronization. It means that the same number of read and unread e-mails will appear on all devices that share the same e-mail account.

Here is how you can remove an e-mail account on your iPad:

1. Go to the home screen and tap on Settings

2. There tap on Mail, Contacts, Calendars

3. On the list of shown e-mail accounts, tap on your MSN e-mail account

4. To remove it, tap on the red Delete Account button located at the bottom (you may need to scroll down a bit)

5. Confirm the removal

You can now re-add it. Just tap on Add account... and follow the instructions. When done, check the number of unread and read e-mails.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see anything that says msn only
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

It could say Hotmail or Outlook instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says outlook on my iPad & Msn on my iphone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It also says mail & contacts on my IPad there
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. Follow the instructions to remove Outlook e-mail account on your iPad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will remove all my contacts if I do that. Also it does not show Msn as an option to add. Do I have to take this i. To Apple Store?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

All the contacts and e-mails will be removed from iPad. However, once you re-add the same e-mail account using the Add account... button, your contacts and e-mails will return. The only difference is that your account will be configured as IMAP instead of POP so that it can show the right number of unread and read e-mails.

MSN was the original e-mail service from Microsoft. It was then renamed to Hotmail. The newest name is Outlook.com, so to re-add your e-mail account, tap on Add account... and select either Hotmail or Outlook.com, depending on what it shown to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like that cleared out the numbers that were bogus, but I lost what was in my individual folders.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please wait several minutes until all e-mails have been downloaded from the mail server.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You can now check all e-mail folders on both your iPad and iPhone.

Do they match?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the emails on my IPad only go back to last Sunday. And some contacts are missing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contacts might not have all matched before. I can check that later.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please access your e-mail account on your computer via webmail. Go to www.outlook.com and sign in there. Check if you can see all the e-mails. To check the contacts, click on the dots located in the upper left corner and then select People.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there all on my computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Good. The same contacts should show up on your iPad as well. Give it some time to synchronize them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if something else is missing as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to let u know it is happening again. It shows 1 in junk & there is nothing there. I don't have time to work on it anymore tonight.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please open the same Junk folder in both your iPad and iPhone. Check if you can see e-mails there, especially that unread one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My IPad says there is 1 in junk. But nothing is there. Junk does not show on my iPhone. There is noting in my junk on my computer. And it doesn't show that there should be one.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You see different e-mail folders on iPad than on iPhone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But not the PC. I have to leave in 5 minutes to go someplace.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please disable POP for your MSN e-mail account by clicking on this link:

https://dub122.mail.live.com/mail/PopEnableDisableSettings.aspx?n=1494327511

Select Disable and then Save.

After that, check if you can receive and send e-mails on iPad and iPhone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still not working. I don't have time to work on it until the Sat after Thanksgiving. Would that be OK? I couldn't find Pop on either the iPhone or iPad.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

When you are available again, please use your computer and go to the link I mentioned. Here it is again:

If that link doesn't work, go to this one:

http://tinyurl.com/OutlookDisablePOP

It will show you the page where you can disable the POP. Once you have done that, check if you can receive and send e-mails on both your iPad and iPhone.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.