James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Suddenly a lot of my saved/archived emails in my windows

Customer Question

Suddenly a lot of my saved/archived emails in my windows live mail account
say "Message Cannot Be Found" when I try to open them, although they appear in the listings for my storage folders. I suspect this has happened because I just switched
back to Windows 7 from Windows 10 ? Is it possible to retrieve these emails??
Category: Email
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my new temp password (just received) is: 4euz36a
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

This can happen when a message was deleted by your
antivirus program, but Windows Mail database was not updated to reflect
that deletion. Make sure your antivirus program has all of it's email scanning options turned off.

Windows Mail seems to be overly sensitive to corruption from
antivirus programs, and is definitely incompatible with most
McAfee and Norton antivirus programs.

If this doesn't help let me know :)

Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

The alternative to this is your message store may have become corrupt in the transition between operating systems.

Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Poking around looking for an answer to your issue I found a few things that may help since there is multiple reasons this could be happening. Here is what I have found.

You may try these:
A) Try scanning the computer using Antivirus software because this issue can occur if the computer is infected with virus. You can do a PC Safety scan by clicking on the link http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm and Clicking on the Full Service scan and accept the Agreement.

B) This issue might also be because the User Profile is corrupted, so create a new profile if the above step does not resolve. Then configure Windows Mail and check if its working.
1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.
2. Click Manage another account. If you are prompted for an administrator password ***** confirmation, type the password ***** provide confirmation.
3. Click Create a new account.
4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.
“Setting up Windows Mail “http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Getting-started-with-e-mail#section_2

Check the link “Create a user account” http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/68a1c4fd-b3f6-4cb9-93a1-8a6023836e531033.mspx#E1D

C) To recover the lost emails try these:
For Windows Mail, by default, the data is stored in the location C:\Users\<user account>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
Check if the data is present in that folder. If it is present you can import the data to the Windows mail.

i. Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail.
ii. Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
iii. Click Windows mail, and then click Next.
iv. Make sure Import mail from a windows mail store directory is selected, and then click OK.
v. Click Browse, find the windows mail folder(C:\Users\<user account>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail) you copied to this computer, and then click the folder once to select it. (Do not open the folder when you select it.)
vi. Click Select Folder, and then click Next.
vii. Click All folders to import all the folders, or click Selected folders and select which message folders you want to import, and then click Next.
viii. Click Finish.

I would save option B for last as I'm sure starting from scratch is the last thing you want to try. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I have not been able to get back to you before and will do so again later today. I have tried your instructions but have had little/no luck. I am not having a problem, as far as I know, with New incoming emails. All I want to do is retrieve those of my old, numerous filed and saved emails. I am not having luck getting to the user account>AppData/Local etc
so I am unable to proceed. I will keep trying(later) and get back to you (later). Thanks, Bill
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

you may have to change your folder options when you get to the "user" folder. At the top click view > then make sure to checkmark "Hidden Items". AppData is normally a hidden folder on your system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just having a terrible time with all this and have messed up my entire email account trying to follow instructions.
So I want to Cancel the whole thing with Just Answer and just forget about it! ( I may call a local expert to come out and help me some day but it really is not that important to me.) I presume you keep only my $5.00 deposit which is OK with me. Thank you anyway!
Bill
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

hmm, that's strange, nothing suggested above would further mess your account up.

Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you are continuing to have issues with your email. I wish you luck.

Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** of the expert in computer category. I would like to assist you with your issue and would be your next active expert.

Please let me know when you are back