James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Why doesn't Thunderbird run on Windows 10? Is there a patch

Customer Question

Why doesn't Thunderbird run on Windows 10? Is there a patch or fix?
Category: Email
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert and Welcome. I'm Joel and I look forward to assisting you today with your question. What error do you receive when you try to open Thunderbird?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't receive an error. I can open Thunderbird but it will not receive nor send emails
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** pop up any errors or notifications at all? Are you running the very latest release?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am running the latest release. There are no notifications nor errors. Thunderbird will not receive incoming messages beyond 31 October. I cannot send messages out. I tried sending a note to myself but it didn't work. I was told by Microsoft that I would have to buy Outlook or install Live Mail. I installed live mail but am far from satisfied with the program.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must have a reliable email client. I use it daily. Microsoft said that the only email apps that run under Windows 10 are Outlook and Live Mail. Outlook I could only get with Microsoft Office. I did not fancy buying a new copy of Office just to get Outlook. Is there anything that Mozilla is doing to get Thunderbird to work under Windows 10. I am fearful that the next problem will be with Firefox. Do you have complaints with that?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

No worries. That's a bit odd saying you need to purchase Outlook. Did anything else happen on Oct 31, was that when you upgraded to Windows 10? What I would do, is first check and see if there are any Windows Updates that need to be installed, if so install them making sure Windows is up to date. If you have done that and still have no success. I would check the Windows Firewall just incase it is blocking Thunderbird. You can follow the steps here to check and add Thunderbird to the firewall exceptions: Link here. It is for Windows 7 but the steps are similar, basically go into control panel, in the search box type firewall. Then look for Add a program to the windows firewall.

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Failing that, we can look at forcing Thunderbird to run in compatibility mode to see if that helps. There is also a Thunderbird safe mode which may get things going although that wouldn't be a permanent solution. Let me know how you go, if you get stuck, we can do a remote session and I can have a look at it for you. I haven't heard anything thus far about Firefox, it should work with Windows 10

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My firewall is Norton Internet Security, not Windows and it is okay with Thunderbird. Actually the problem started a month after I had upgraded to Windows 10, which was on 29 September. I have been keeping up with Windows Updates and nothing has changed. I live in Brisbane, Australia and have checked out any local problems with my provider but there are none. How will I get back to you? Via email?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

You can continue to reply here as your doing, i'll keep getting your replies

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Here are the steps for Thunderbird safe mode:

1. If Thunderbird is not running: Start Thunderbird in Safe Mode by holding down theoption key while starting the application.
    If Thunderbird is already running: At the top of the Thunderbird window, click the Helpmenu, and select the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item and then click theRestart button in the dialog box.
  2. The Thunderbird Safe Mode dialog opens:
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

What email accounts do you have in Thunderbird? You have tried removing them and re-adding. If you let me know we could try some basic connectivity tests as well,