Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I want to duplicate all my emails from one folder to another

Customer Question

i want to duplicate all my emails from one folder to another folder (without transferring- I want BOTH folders to have these emails)
Category: Email
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Joel, hopefully I can assist you today.

What email client are you using? You have a custom folder already setup and you'd like a second folder with the same email content? Is this for backup purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i use hotmailyes, correct. I had done this and one of the folders accidentally got deleted and I definitely cannot get it back. Anytime I get an email I need to save for specific purposes I forward it to myself and put it in two different folders. Now I just named a new folder and need to put all the contents from an already existing folder in to the new one (without transferring- just copying). They both need to have all the same content.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** access your mail your using just a web browser at the moment?

If so, I would try using a hard client such as Windows Live Mail as these generally offer you a bit more functionality over accessing via the web browser.

Once your account has been added into Windows Live Mail, you should be able to create a new folder. Then go to the original folder, and use the "Copy To" to copy the email to the new folder.

You could also use the Mail export feature to create backups as needed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no copy to...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is "move to" but there is no copy to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clicking move to just transfers all the emails from one folder to the other
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still here to help?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

I'm still here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I mean we can do the phone that's fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need this done quickly; I don't have time to wait hours.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Another way to achieve this, you could try exporting the email via the Tool menu and Export email and click email messages.

Select Windows Live Mail and follow the wizard through and select your folder then select a location to save the email to on your computer. You can make a new folder on the desktop to make it easier. After the export then go back to Tool menu and select import messages.

This should allow you to then import them back and they should show up under Imported Folders (as a copy). You should then be able to move them to your new folder. Let me know if that helps you out or if you need some further guidance. Make sure when exporting you select only your folder you wish to copy and not all mail.

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Here is a Windows How-To on the export/import function of Windows Live Mail. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-live/mail-import-backup-restore

Let me know how you go

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to try that right now. yOU will be online, correct? Also, are we doing this phone call or what?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

I will be here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't see a tool menui can see import or export but it says export to pdf or something like that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that website does not seem to cover my situation...
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thats odd. Are you running the latest version of Windows Live Mail?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/essentials

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am it just updated too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i use a mac
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

It should. If your wanting to copy/duplicate a specific folder. You should be able to export it then import it to a new location, creating the copy your looking for. Then you can rename/move accordingly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me the exact steps please
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Oh your on a Mac.. well that's a bit different as the actual Windows Live Mail client wont run on Mac. do you have access to a Windows laptop or anything to follow the steps earlier? I'm guessing export to PDF was the option if you try export via the web browser

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for example...
1) made new folder
2) select all from existing folder?then...i have done both those things btw but then when i go to "file" it says export as pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i only have access to a mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i must do tis through my computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry but can you help me or not?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

I'm currently away from my Mac, so unable to see if you may be able to add your hotmail account into the Apple mail.app (Mac mail client) then use that to do what you need to do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there not a simple way to do this...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you help me or not then?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

The simplest way would be to use the Windows Live Mail application on Windows to do a quick export/import to create the duplicate folder. Since your on a Mac that's not an option.

Since the web interface only seems to alow export to PDF that also won't work and only allows the ability ti Move content and not copy.

The other alternative is to use a native email client on your Mac such as Mail.app, add your hotmail account to that and then try what we suggested earlier. I believe on Mail.app you could create a new folder, then just select Apple+A all the email then drag it into the new folder. But you would need to add your hotmail account into the Mail.app client

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont even know what mail app is...and could i get rid of it later?!
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

It comes with OS X (Apple operation system) on your Mac. If you hit Apple+Space to open spotlight the search box, can also click the search magnifying glass up the very top right and type Mail.app you will see it.

You may even have it in your dock, post stamp looking icon. Also is your email address an @hotmail.com or @outlook.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh this thing...i use boxer on my phone though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay if i use the mail app (talk me through it plz) then delete the mail app i will still have the info needed on my hotmail, right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, how do i see all of my "flagged" items in this new outlook? search is not bringing it up
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, Mail.app will use IMAP (so it sync with your hotmail account) You don't need to worry about deleting the mail.app as its standard software for Mac, comes with the operating system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do i do? and where do i see flagged messages in my hotmail now?can we now do this over the phone bc it's taking forever!
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I can only take calls at specific times currently. I will open this up for someone else who may be able to assist via the phone. Sorry we couldn't get it sorted promptly

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I will be the person helping you today.

I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.

May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?

Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason