IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

While away on a trip, I ws not able to receive or send

Customer Question

While away on a trip, I ws not able to receive or send Hotmail emails on my phone or ipad. what am I doing wrong and should I change my password? when I returned home, everything was fine except I could not find what I tried to send from Denver.
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

I see you experienced problems with your Hotmail account while being on a trip. Here is what happened:

Like other e-mail services, Hotmail tries to prevent unauthorized access. Knowing the right password ***** ***** enough to access the account since Hotmail checks the location as well. For example, if you registered your Hotmail account in the United States and access it regularly from there, Hotmail system will remember it as your home location. Once you type the password, you will be able to access your account normally (be able to send and receive e-mails).

However, if you (or someone else) attempt to sign in to your Hotmail account from another location, for example from the United Kingdom, the Hotmail system will flag that as potential unauthorized access and block the account. Once that happens, you won't be able to receive new e-mails as well as send them in that location (country).

To unblock the account so that you can use it from another location, you need to access the Hotmail web interface on this link:

http://www.hotmail.com/

and sign in from there. You will be asked to verify your account - either by answering security question or by sending a verification code to your phone number or alternate e-mail address. Once the account has been verified, your new location will be saved as trusted in the Hotmail system and you will be able to both receive and send e-mails.

That security feature is implemented on most major e-mail services, such as GMail and Yahoo!

Let me know if you require further assistance on this.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my answer by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Were you able to read my messages sent to you?