Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Email Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, Expert in Large Email Platforms
23511658

My hotmail account is not working Cannot get email

Customer Question

My hotmail account is not working
Cannot get email
Category: Email
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

In order to assist you, I'll need quite bit more detail about your problem. How are you retrieving your email? What type of problem are you having exactly? Do you get an error message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message says to put in my Exchange hotmail password. I put in my hotmail password ***** The message says It is wrong

There is no such thing as an exchange Hotmail password. That cannot be the error that you are getting. Please double check the error and let me know exactly what it says

Also, please read the rest of my first reply and respond. I wouldn't ask those questions if I didn't need the answer to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says Exchange account hotmail password

You are not providing me with the information I asked you for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what appears on my screen. And when I type in my hotmail PW
It says The PW IS INCORRECT

How are you retrieving your email? Are you doing this from a Windows computer? Are you using an email client? Or is this on a mobile device? If it is on a mobile device, what type of mobile device is it on?

Different devices have different ways of retrieving email. On a computer if it is Hotmail, you can be retrieving it through a web browser. There is no such thing as a Hotmail exchange account. Therefore, if you are setting up your account, you should not be setting it up as an exchange account. Again, since you haven't given me any information about what you are trying to do or what type of hardware you're working on, it is very difficult for me to help you get through the problem. Rather than just providing me with a one sentence reply, please provide me with a detailed description of what you were doing what you are trying to accomplish, whether you were previously able to get email, and when you started having the problem etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had a hotmail account for years. Two days ago as I was checking my emails on my phone as I do every hour I began to have that strange message appear asking to enter The password ***** The exchange account "Hotmail". When I enter my Hotmail PW I get another message saying It is incorrect. I cannot send or receive any emails From that account

What type of phone is this? What I would suggest doing is going into your email accounts settings, removing the hotmail account and then adding it back as a new account. It really shouldn't be asking you for "exchange" account "hotmail" because hotmail is not an exchange account. It sounds like someone tried to add your hotmail account back already and did it incorrectly by selecting to set up an exchange account. That is the only way for this to happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is an Exchange account?

An Exchange account is an account on an Exchange Server. It would be a business account - but never a hotmail account.