James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Locked out, cannot remember password

Customer Question

Locked out, cannot remember password
Category: Email
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Is the user account on the machine a local account or is it a Microsoft account that displays an email address on the login page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows my name, and just under that it says locked. I cannot remember the password, so I cannot get logged on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a local account , or at least it is in the same state.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Byron, are you there?Where is my answer that I have already paid for?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Welcome back. Since you have a local account we'll need to create a password ***** disk to boot from to reset the password.

You'll need a USB flash drive.

You'll first need to download the disk file from here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip

Save the file to your desktop or downloads folder.

Unzip/Extract the file. There are several files in the folder.

The file that gets burned to the flash drive is called: Hiren’s.BootCD.15.2.iso

To put the file on the flash drive you'll use a program called Rufus which you can get here: https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/

Download the rufus.exe file at the top of the list and save it to your computer.

Run the Rufus program and when it opens you select the Hiren’s.BootCD.15.2.iso file you downloaded earlier.

Once the iso file is loaded into Rufus, click Start and Rufus will put the iso file on the flash drive and make it bootable.

Once that's done boot up your computer and enter the BIOS. I can't tell you which F key you'll need to push at startup until

I know the brand and model number of your computer. Once in the BIOS disable Secure Boot and change Boot Mode

from UEFI to Legacy or CSM. Save the changes and the computer will restart. Upon restart press the F key that launches the

startup menu, select the USB option and it will boot from the flash drive.

Here is an article which tells how to prepare the flash drive: http://www.wintips.org/how-to-create-hirens-bootcd-usb-disk/

If all this seems like a lot of work, it is.

I'm more than happy to guide you through this. I can connect to your computer and help create the flash drive.

Booting your computer from the flash drive and guiding you through the program that actually resets your password

is something we'll need to do over the phone.

The other option is to reset the computer back to it's original out-of -box state.

It's the easiest option but unless your personal files are backed up, you will lose them.