Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

The email in my inbox suddenly disappeared. There is still

Customer Question

The email in my inbox suddenly disappeared. There is still email in folders I created, as well as in my "All Mail" folder on my I-Phone. Any idea why that happened and how I can get my email back?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using a Windows computer or a mac? Or are you using your phone only to access your email?

What email service are you using: Hotmail? Gmail? AOL? or others?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using Gmail. I am using a Windows computer. I access my email on the computer and on the phone. The email in the inbox is missing from both.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Have you checked your Trash in case the emails were deleted accidentally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not there. And I had over 300 emails in my inbox.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Are you using Gmail as an IMAP in your phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says Gmail SMTP Server
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

What about the incoming server? Is it IMAP?

I am asking because if you are missing a lot of emails and you are using a computer and a phone to access the emails, then you have 2 possible causes of the problem.

First, your account could have been hacked and the hacker messed up your emails by deleting them and purging them. The worst scenario in this case is if the hacker tamper your security information that will surely lock you out from your own account.

Second, is when you are using IMAP in a smartphone and you accidentally delete your emails since it will also delete them from the server.

Can you confirm if your outgoing server there is an IMAP server?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Incoming settings: 'Use SSL' is on; 'IMAP Path Prefix' is blank; 'Server Port' 993I did change my password ***** away. I started receiving emails. How could I have possibly deleted over 300 emails accidentally? I also have it set to ask me if I am sure about deleting even one email.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I believe that you account was indeed hacked or compromised since you were only beginning to receive emails after you changed the password. And if it was hacked, then the hacker could have messed up your account by deleting your emails there.

To verify or check if your account was accessed by an unusual hacker, please do these steps using your computer (not phone):

1. Open your web browser. You can use Chrome, Firefox or Safari or Internet Explorer
  2. Sign in to your Gmail account
  3. After signing in, scroll to the very bottom of the Gmail page
  4. Locate and click on the very small link that says "Details" at the bottom right
  5. There you shall see as to the location of the people who accessed your account including you.
  6. Did you find anything suspicious?

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already did that. There was nothing suspicious found.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Are you using your computer now to chat with me?

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly fix the problem while you watch?

Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.

Please let me know if you want this remote option.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be able to retrieve the emails?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Not me. If you did not delete them accidentally, then a hacker did. In that case, you can request Gmail's intervention to recover the missing emails since only them have access to your problem Gmail.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

And if you are using a Windows computer, I can then perform a malware cleanup to ensure that your system is malware free to avoid this problem in the future.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then I'm not sure what you would fix. I've already changed my security settings. I know you've tried, but you have just asked questions and really have not offered anything to help.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Like I mentioned, I can help you secure your computer and your account to prevent future problems. And if you want to recover your missing emails, I can also help you with that by submitting the appropriate form to recover the missing emails.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have malware protection and someone locally to help with that. But I would appreciate your help in submitting the appropriate form to GMail to recover the missing emails.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back. Yes, submitting the recovery form will be your last option since like I mentioned, there are several other things to consider. But I believe you have done them so you can proceed to submitting the recovery form.

Please use the link below:

https://support.google.com/mail/contact/missingemails?rd=2

Fill out the needed information and then submit the form to request Gmail people to look into your account for any recoverable emails.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess