Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have had two problems trying to access emails sent to my

Customer Question

I have had two problems trying to access emails sent to my aol.com account.
First, when I try to open one of these emails, I and greeted with a dialogue box with contents as follows:
"Cannot get mail
The mail server 'imap.aol.com' is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info I'm Mail settings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OK
Second, I have received the following email message, with the Subject line "Incoming
E-mails, from 'Team'
"Dear user, your E-mail has exceeded the storage limit. You can not send or receive new messages until you re-validate your mail.
To re-validate the mailbox:- =Click to restore (underlined).
Thank you
Mail administrator"
When I press on Click to restore, I get a window which has "Account Suspended" in the top left of the window, and "This Account Has Been Suspended" in the upper central portion of the window.
Finally, I have been warned by an occasional recipient of my emails sent from the account "jwlcole @ aol.com" that one such email contained a suspicious, and almost surely fraudulent message. The message spun a yarn about someone getting into a scrape in some foreign nation and contained a phone number to call to bail out the threatened party.
Putting all this together, I conclude that something, one of my computers or portable devices (?) was infected somehow so that someone could use my list of people emailed to their nefarious ends, and I don't really know where to go from here.
I have at least one other account that I could use as my main email account, but I have used the***@******.*** account since forever, and it would be most convenient if I could use it again. But is that at all reasonable? (In any case, yes, I did let the number of "kept" emails to get out of hand, and know that a thorough house cleaning is long overdue. Indeed I took the comment that I had overfilled my storage at face value when I first read it. But then I started questioning the authenticity of the "Team" email.)
Finally, in a situation where someone's computer has been taken over by malware, what is the computer owner's responsibility to minimize the damage that the scheme might cause to third parties?
Thanks for your advice.
Jim Cole
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,