Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I am moving to a new computer where I have installed Outlook

Customer Question

I am moving to a new computer where I have installed Outlook 2010. I need to move the contacts from my old machine to the new one. The old one is nearly dead. Can you tell me how?
Category: Email
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Are you using Outlook 2010 (or an earlier version) on the old computer as well?

Please reply back using the box below. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

If you are using Outlook 2010 on both of the systems, please follow these steps to export the contacts from the old computer first, to a CSV file:

In Outlook, click the File tab at the top.

Click Options.

Click Advanced.

Under Export, click Export.

In the Import and Export Wizard, click Export to a file, and then click Next.

Under Create a file of type, click Comma Separated Values (Windows) and click Next.

If you are exporting contacts for use in another copy of Outlook, choose an Outlook Data File (.pst).

Under Select folder to export from, select the contact folder that you want to export, and then click Next.

Under Save exported file as, click Browse, select a destination folder, and in the File name box, type a name for the file.

Click OK.

In the Export to a File dialog box, click Next.

Click Finish.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Done that, transfer the exported CSV contacts file to your new computer using a flash drive, etc., and then import the file into Outlook, as follows:

Click the File tab.

Click Open.

Click Import.

Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.

Under Select the file type to import, click Comma Separated Values (Windows), and click Next.

Under File to import, click Browse, select the file that you want to import, and then click OK.

In the Import a File dialog box, under Options, click the following:

Replace duplicates with items imported If an Outlook contact already exists, it is replaced by the information that you are importing.

Click Next.

In the Import a File dialog box, under Select destination folder, click a folder for the imported contacts. This usually is the Contacts folder unless you have multiple accounts, or have created multiple contact folders for an account.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, a positive rating (at the top of this page) would be much appreciated. Thank you :)