Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Experience:  I have 7+ years of experience in fixing emails issues.
33602187

I am on a 8.1 win desktop and use Thunderbird email

Customer Question

I am on a 8.1 win desktop and use Thunderbird for my email (v38.2.0). Ever since Mozilla did a major update on Thunderbird, everything changed sooo much I am really not liking this program like I did before. I am getting slow start up, program not responding or hanging with ever send of an email. I just attached a 15.9 mb pdf file to an email and it tells me that I am about to send a 21.4 mb file! Where is the extra 5mbs of size coming from. I have removed all add-ons that I installed in the last year and nothing changes!
I have gone on Mozilla Support, went through 3 different procedures recommended, and even did a registry change that sounded logical and still nothing.
The only thing I can think of for the hanging is the fact I have multiple folders but I monitor size and never had a problem in the last 5 years I have been using Thunderbird with all the same files...no, I lied, MORE folders and files than I have now!! HELP! What is wrong with this build, and where is the extra size on my text emails is coming from??
Category: Email
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Hi,I'm Sandy and I look forward to help you today with the best answer possible.

I'm sorry about the issue.

I will work with you until it is fixed.

Please reply at the box given below and type your queries/result at the box given below.

A. Please check the file size again. File itself could be sum up to 21 MB.

B. Some hidden malware/spyware/adware could be causing this issue:

I suggest you to scan your computer using free version of Super anti-spyware software. This will remove all of the malwares, spywares and viruses from the computer.

Note: If you already have installed Anti-virus programs like Norton, McAfee, CA, kaspersky on the computer, still I suggest you to download and install Super anti-spyware as the Anti-virus program does not remove Malwares/adwares/spywares effectively.

You can download the free version using the link given below:

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Please run quick scan to complete the scan in 10-15 minutes.

Step C: For testing purpose only:

Make Internet Explorer as default browser as given under:

Launch 'Internet explorer'.

Click Tools.

Click 'Internet Options'.

Click 'Program' tab and then click 'Make Default'. Click Apply and then OK.

Step D: Also, reset internet Explorer as given under:

Launch Internet explorer.
Click Tools.
Click Internet Options.
Under the general tab, please delete cookies.
After that click the Advanced tab.
Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset.Then click Reset again.
When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.

Now, please check Mozilla Thunderbird if it works fine or there are still issues with it.

If you have any other query regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Sandy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work, the Explorer froze, and the email is acting still the same.
Now what?
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Could you please tell me if you have followed all of the steps A-D?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

Could you please give me an idea of how many emails are stored under Mozilla Thunderbird?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had a hierarchy of files and folders forever in Thunderbird. They are organized for the 17 emails addresses I have. Total number of emails was like 25,000 or more. I never had a problem. Never an issue until this last major update. It lost the heirarchy, and I had to dump emails thinking that was the issue but now down to 13,000 and the program takes forever to start up, each email sent with or without attachments will cause the wheel to spin, the screen to fade out and the title bar has 'program not responding.'
It eventually will work whatever is spinning that wheel and then I can move on.
One suggestion on Mozilla was to turn off the backup feature which I did, that did not help.
Another was to dump the add-on which I checked were all up to date.
I eliminated all the ones that I had installed this year. Then ones that I thought might hang the program but still nothing.
I did a safe mode and that did nothing to help.Now what?
Expert:  Sandy replied 1 year ago.

May I take remote control of your computer and help you with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I do not allow remote connections.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other options you can think of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still talking?