Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Getting an error message when I try to open my email in

Customer Question

Getting an error message when I try to open my email in MSN/Outlook. Says, "Something went wrong. A server that contains information about your user account and mailbox can't be found" The strange thing is that from the MSN.com home screen I can see my inbox and see new emails come in, however I cannot open them.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you confirm which internet browser you are using please? eg: Internet Explorer?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
internet explorer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Please do the following in Internet Explorer

Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options

Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.

Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset

Then restart and you should now be ok

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I already tried that. Tried again and I get the same error.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, very strange

Go to www.google.com/chrome

Download and install Google Chrome

Once installed, open Google Chrome and access your emails via this.

Does it then work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have Chrome installed. I've tried to access from Chrome and get the same thing. I've tried from three different computers as well as from my iphone. I get the same error on all.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, do you have a test account to try to use as I am then concerned the issue is on Microsoft server and not related to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I do not have a test account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to outlook.live.com and the server is up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry,... not what I meant,... one sec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://portal.office.com/servicestatus
shows the site is up, for what that's worth
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes the service is up, I know

I am referring to your account on the server having the issue.

Make an account here

https://signup.live.com/

then try to use that account

Tell me if it works

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can login with a different account from my computer, but that doesn't solve my problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I understand, I am just confirming the issue...

And the issue is on your account on the server, its not something you or I can fix here.

Your going to have to post the request to the microsoft forum on my link below to have them recreate your account on the server

Click me to open

As its an issue directly with the Microsoft server and not something local, they are the only ones who are going to be able to rectify the issue for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just so you understand, ... I tried everything you asked me to try before I contacted justanswer.com I was hoping you guys had experience with this problem in the past. Everything you suggest can be found by googling the problem I am experiencing. So, what you are saying is you have no experience with this problem and don't know if it's my problem or a Microsoft problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I have experience with the problem

And as I told you I have confirmed it is a Microsoft problem.

This is why I did the initial steps to rule out local issues causing this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how have you confirmed this is a Microsoft problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Because the browser is not causing this and another account works fine ruling out your PC as the cause.

this coupled with the error that "Something went wrong. A server that contains information about your user account and mailbox can't be found" means the server lost or has an issue with your account.

Look, I understand you would like it to be a local issue, that we can solve on the spot here, trust me, I would rather this then the accusations of inexperience and incompetence your leveling at me currently, but its not the case and you need to submit this to the forum via the link I gave.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the forum was where I started. no response from anyone there. not accusing incompetence, just was hoping for a resolution.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, as Microsoft is providing this as a free service, their support is pretty bad.

But as the issue is on Microsofts servers, and as only they have the access to the server, they need to recreate the account and this is the only place to reach out to them

In all honesty, it is a minimal chance of them looking at it, 20% success rate, and your likely going to have to create a new account, but I am telling you the forum as it is the only avenue you have.

If emailing is very important to you then I advise you use a paid service that offers direct telephone support so you never end up in this situation.

A solution such as a paid Google Apps account

https://www.google.com/work/apps/business/

That way you can always get in contact with the person who has direct access to the server

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am I getting charged even though my problem is unresolved?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The payment was for the service I provided, the time I spent with you and explaining the problem to you

If you do not wish to pay for this and prefer to have a free answer, then go here for your refund.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund