Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I downloaded what I thought was an update Quest yesterday

Customer Question

I downloaded what I thought was an update for Map Quest yesterday and when I turned on my computer this am, I no longer have Safari on my opening page....what did I do??? and how can I get back on Safari search engine for my Mac?
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you open finder, then go to applications.

Do you see Safari listed there in the list? If so double click it and tell me if it opens please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not open
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What error message does it give when you try to open it?

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't give me any error message
let's just try and figure it out this way for now please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK sorry I wrote it all down so not to make a mistake, will let you known I have completed..thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you